Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it will be fine with me! After the halloween party, we had about 17 pumpkins left over (pie pumpkins, the kid decorated them as a party favor/activity). Lance decided to try juggling them, so the chickens got 3 :shrug:; yesterday I finally got around to baking the rest to put up for the year.

I tried making pumpkin soup (we need an "ICK" smilie). It was thrown away. However, I have 14 cups freezing to put in the vacuum bags, and probably another 8 or 10 cups waiting in the frig for an open space.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll be making pumpkin pie! Good thing everyone (well, everyone else) in my house likes pumpkin.

Let's see, pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin cookies, Mitchell wants pumpkin spice cake, hmmm.....

·
Becky
489 Posts
Here's one to try that everyone asks for the recipe for when I make it.

Pumpkin Squares

4 eggs
1 ts baking powder
1 c. oil
1 ts baking soda
2 c.sugar
2 ts cinnamon
1-1/2 to 2 c. pumpkin
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 ts salt

Mix all ingredients together; pour into a greased jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool and frost. Makes 3-1/2 to 4 dozen

Frosting
8-oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 stick + 2 T Margarine, softened
2 ts vanilla
2 ts milk

Blend all ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ok. I have 7 pumpkins in my kitchen floor, how do you guys put them up...Do you cut up and blanch..bake..and if you bake how do you do it.
Sorry to ask such silly questions. I really have no clue. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
27,919 Posts
One recipie I found said bake until soft then peel and mash. I wanted chunk pumpkin for bean soup so I peeled and baked until soft, then froze. I've done some where I baked it in halves then scraped it out and froze the mush. Too stringy if you don't use the right kind of pumpkin. Still good but pie isn't supposed to be stringy.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I baked a couple large pumpkins we bought after Halloween. Having never "done" pumpkin puree before, I had read after the fact that the pumpkins I bought are generally considered too stringy for pureeing. Well by golly I finally got to put the Vita Mix blender my mother gave me to work! I cut the cooked pumpkin in chunks then blenderized it 'til smooth. It turned out very smooth, and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with all the puree. About half became pumpkin butter (recipe from the online cookbook here) and the rest is getting frozen.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I have 7 pumpkins in my kitchen floor, how do you guys put them up...Do you cut up and blanch..bake..and if you bake how do you do it.
Sorry to ask such silly questions. I really have no clue. Thanks in advance.
I lightly oiled a cookie sheet, cut them in half, scooped out the seeds and baked them at 375*. Put the cut side down and bake until they are soft to the touch, about 30 - 40 minutes. After they cooled, I scooped out the insides and ran it through the food processor - Danaus and Maria are right, stringy pie is not a prize-winner!

Oh, and thanks for the recipe, speckledpup. I'm sure I'll be needing it!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I noticed that at the "Pumpkin Parish" at a church I drive by on the way to work had a whole bunch of pumpkins that went unsold.

My wife had bought a couple for jack-o-lanterns from there and they were already way past their eating prime.

I guess they could feed them to livestock or compost them, but I'm afraid that they probably went to the landfill.

I wonder what the ratio of pumpkins for show compared to the ones actually eaten is.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huge, I would imagine. If you notice at 15th and Bryant, there is still a pile of pumpkins at the shopping center. My chickens could eat for a month and a half on what they'll probably throw in the dumpster after Thanksgiving.

And boy were they pricey this year! I went to the place on Broadway, and their little pie pumpkins were $2.75 EACH. Thank heavens for the grocery store down the road from me - they sold me these for $1 each, since they were for a kids' party and I was buying so many.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Christine, I feel the same way about chickens. Put up 40 quarts of canned chicken over the weekend and stewed and froze another 10.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'm guessing it'll be Christmas before you want chicken soup?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
LOL! I have three out on the front porch I keep meaning to process but haven't got around to doing it...and every time I drive by Ingraldi's Farm Stand (closed for the season), they have a HUGE stack of pumpkins and I wanna call the farmer and offer to take them off his hands...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts