If I can't feed him grain what can I feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Aug 30, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

In preperation for Trixie's "boyfriend", who should be here in a week or two, I am trying to figure what feed is OK for two just weaned kids. I have learned here grain is a problem for the males. I have a bag of 16% pellets that I have stared her on, is this safe for him too? If not is there a feed that will be suitable for the two of them or will I need to feed them seperately?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Do you have any pasture? brushy area? They do better with browse rather than feed.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

The only time I feed my males grain is when they are first weened, and in the really cold days. I feed grain to the weaned babies because they will need the extra feed because of the stress. Just don't do it all the time. Something Ielse I feed is Milo, that is good for them also, and it won't hurt them. Good Luck.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I feed weaned bucks/wethers grain for about the first 5 months after weaning. So I stop feeding around 7 months of age. I just don't over do it.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I put my kids, both doelings and bucklings (also wethers) on alfalfa pellets and grass hay as well as browse if possible. They get just alfalfa pellets for feed . The bucks and wethers stay on the alfalfa pellets and hay for the rest of their lives. The doelings will start getting a dry grain mix 6 weeks prior to fall breeding. (no sweetfeed ever).

So you could just feed them alfalfa pellets together with hay. Just a suggestion. That's what I would feed. Every farm and environment is different. Every herd is different. What works for me may not work for you.

Don't forget the loose goat minerals.

6. SDjulieinSC

They won't have much browse once the kudzu is gone. How much is the right amount to feed when I have to? They are pygmy's.
    Is there any kind of pellet that would not be grain?
    I'm having a hard time finding any bales of alfalfa here. Grass hay is what our horses get so I guess it is what the goats will get as well. Should I add some alfalfa cubes or pellets along with the hay for protien?
    I really want to do this right, I'd hate to be the cause of their troubles!

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Alfalfa pellets are not grain and have no grain in them. They are not cubes but PELLETS and are very small. Make sure you don't get the larger cubes.

They can be fed free choice, all the goats want. if they are not used to them, start slow and then work up to all they want each day. It is an excellent diet high in protein and calcium for growth and bone formation.

Later, the alfalfa makes lots of milk for the babies when the doe is lactating. Alfalfa pellets are the backbone of my feeding program. If I had one feed, that would be it above all else.

8. SDjulieinSC

I know the alfalfa pellets are alfalfa and have no grain...hope thaty didn't come out sounding rude, I sure did not mean it that way! What I meant was is there something other than the alfalfa pellets that I should be giving them that would not be a grain?
    Glad you told me about not feeding cubes, I have been giving her a few each day, she really likes them! Bummer for her!
    The farther I get into this the dumber I feel!
    Thanks for all of your help!

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Seriously, I have always fed my bucks grain/feed. Grain is not the culprit, overfeeding grain is the culprit. Moderation is the key in feeding goats, as in most things. Feed a *small* amount of grains along with good hay, quality minerals, fresh water, etc. If you don't want to feed any grain, thats fine too. I do and will continue to do so. I have been feeding like this for six years and have never had a case of UC. And I don't just have a couple bucks. I usually have between 8-10 bucks of varying ages on the place. Right now I have more like 12. :rolleyes:
    As for your question on pellets vs grain?? Pelleted feeds *are* grains, so they add up to the same thing. In fact, I'd rather feed straight grains than most pellets. At least I can see the quality of the grains I am feeding. The pellets are hard to tell about.....

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

There are as many way to feed goats as there are goatkeepers. I have a pen of doelings right now that are 5 months old. They have had nothing but alfalfa pellets and hay and browse (which is gone) since they were weaned. They are doing great. They will not get grain til 6 weeks prior to breeding which will be Ocober-ish. This is to "flush" them. This causes an "Ascending plane of nutrition"...they start blooming. This causes the ovaries to release multiple eggs during the heat cycle and you increase your chance of multiple births. So I hold back on the "good stuff" til 6 weeks prior to breeding. Then a few weeks after breeding and I think they are pregnant (no more heat cycles)...I stop the grain and they go back to all they can eat alfalfa and hay only.

Them 100 days prior to delivery, they start getting a measured amount of grain each day as they have growing babies inside and need to put on some weight themselves to help make milk. They are then also fed on the milkstand. When they are no longer being milked, back to just alfalfa til "flushing" the next breeding season.