If anyone knows...What wild animals in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Dec 17, 2004.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I lived on a farm in Caledonia, NY when I was a kid, open fields, a few trees, I just saw the normal racoon, woodchuck, possum, deer..

Then we moved to the suburbs, and we got squirrels, and chipmunks....Now I am buying 30 acres in Kendall, NY with just about all 30 acres being woods.

I am just curious what wild animals I should look out for? I have 2 boys, 3 yrs, and 7 months, I want to be able to have us run around and go exploring and things, but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for...We will be getting chickens, ducks, goats, and pigs too.

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks!!

2. MissChris

MissChris Well-Known Member

Hello, I live in Hamlin, NY and I keep chickens and ducks. We have owls, eagles, red fox, skunk, possums, deer, rabbits and racoons in this area. I have only lost one duck to a wild animal, not sure what since it left no trace, but since I lock my flock up at night , I only worry about neighboring dogs that run free during the day. Kendall, like Hamlin probably does not have a leash law so you may want to keep on eye on any neighboring dogs.
    Oh, I have never seen one, but I have heard others talk about coyotes in the area.
    Welcome to western NY, I love it here and I hope you do too!

3. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I'm farther east of you in Broome County near Binghamton. We have lots of coyotes, fox, bobcat, black bear, and there have been unconfirmed sightings of cougar. We lost 3 chickens and two cats to coyotes this summer.

Stacy

4. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I live in Chenango county and we have all those, plus lots of coyote and black bear. In fact, my husband used to drive to a job at night, and he hit a bear right in the town of Greene, as it ran out in front of him and it was very dark. We live right in state forest and see signs of them but rarely see them ourselves.