identifying / treating snuffles

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Thatch, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I have a rabbit that has some signs of snuffles (chronic sneezing) but does not have any discharge that I have seen. I have her segregated and I'm watching her but outside of that is there something I can do to figure out that she does in fact have something or there is some environmental irritant (it seems that she has stopped sneezing since I moved her.. but it's only been a short while). Also, is there a home treatment I can use on her?

Just to complicate things, she seems to be pregnant as well. What sort of ramifications does this have on her ability to deliver healthy kits? Obviously if she is sick she will deliver sick (or quickly infect) any kits so I'd like to see what I can do to get her well.

Thoughts?

J

2. kell

kell Well-Known Member

If she has snuffles, there isn't much you can do. I've heard of treatments like shots and antibiotics, but I haven't heard of a definite cure. It could have been caused by dust or something like that. My lamb got a bad cough from the dust in his pen recently, so it could be that.
    I have a related question...if one of my does has snuffles could I transfer her kits to another doe? They haven't been born yet, but I have a few does that are due at the same time and one contracted snuffles. I thought if I cleaned the kits from the snuffly doe really well and put them in with the others, they might live. Would that work?

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

Take the animal to the vet to rule out snuffles... its a form of pneumonia that once a rabbit gets, it never gets over completely... the bug that causes it just goes dorment... I bet it isn't snuffles but a bit of an allergy.

We have a beautiful fawn flemish giant that is allergic to mildew and dust. We discovered this last winter when we brought the rabbits down to the storm cellar during a cold snap. The poor dear got runny eyes and nose, looked horrible. My son thought he was going to loose his rabbit and brought it upstairs to his bedroom so he could nurse it back to health and keep the others from getting it... well... two days later and a clean cage later, the rabbit was fine and never had the symptoms again. We keep her cage extra clean and use wood shavings instead of hay with her and she hasn't had a problem since.

good luck.