Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
How do You soothe yourself (no doctor or meds) when your back "goes out" painfully and you know you'll be hurting for a few days?
My lower back was injured 2/3 of my life ago but is Not a chronic pain issue.I learned decades ago to sleep on my back and watch my posture when doing chores and I go years with no problems. The Irony is that I wasn't even doing chores or gardening I was putting my dang socks on this morning and I felt a twinge......... and that was That. Hurting like the devil,since! SHEESH.

Anyhow,the forum folks here give so many great tips I thought I'd ask You :D What works best for relief ? If there's a thread on this already please direct me,I didn't find one.

T

·
0 Posts
Epsom salt baths work well, get it as hot as you can lower you bum into, and soak in it until it has gotten chilly. Take a beverage and a good book, and float for a while.

Don't bend forward at the waist, it pinches the discs. Bend at your natural joints of hip and knee... Socks are tough... :(

Try the right ankle over the left knee for socks. It takes some talent to master. And a little flexibility. LOL!

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Find a good carpet and roll around on the floor on your back, doing gentle twists and stretches like one of Oggie's cats. Take about three Ibuprofen all at once for the anti-inflammatory properties. Magnesium can help as can epsom salt soaks (if you can get in and out of a tub safely).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
make sure when you feel better to keep your hamstrings stretched. tight hamstrings and bad backs go hand in hand.

When I forget to stretch I am more likely to hurt my back. You should be feeling better in a few days. Advil around the clock and heating pad help me as does a few good movies and books. gentle movement and frequent walks also help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
DH has been seeing a chiropractor and faithfully doing the stretches he recommended every morning for about 6 years. In those 6 years, his back has gone out only once, vs. the couple of times a year and 2 weeks out of commission each time he was dealing with before. Between that and getting a desk chair and driver's seat with excellent lumbar support, he's avoided back surgery so far, too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not sure about this suggestion as I've never experience my back going out but here is my two cents with might not be worth the change!
There is an herb called cramp bark that some use for abdomen cramps or even Charlie horse type muscle spasms. If you can find it and make a tea with licorice ( or anise or fennel) it helps relax the muscles after a while.
I would also agree with rolling around like oggies cat although I don't know the cat in question. There is a basic yoga pose called cat cow that is standing on all fours like a cat and rolling your back in a arch then concave. Perhaps googleing other basic yoga back poses to gently stretch out the muscles might help.
Finally I would suggest having a heated lavender And cammomile oil back massage from a helpful recruit to help relax the area and hopefully ease the pain a little bit.
I also second the Epsom salt bath and heating pad.

T

·
0 Posts
If you have injured the disc, curling forward will further the injury or squirt the contents of the disc out more... And the contents of your disc will erode the nerve casings.

(Ask me how I know this... 30 years of back issues, three years of being barely able to walk, back repairs this past February!)

Do not bend forward for a little while.

See where the teal colored blob is? That is the navel-side of your spine, and that is your disc.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1416240571.234180.jpg

If it is muscular, like the back muscles seizing up in indignation at the nerve you inadvertently pinched - then coaxing the muscles to relax is the key. Heat, massage, heat, don't tick it off further, heat, rest, heat, etc. LOL!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Those therma wrap heat things really help me with this cold weather as my back locks with right now with the cold.

Discovered too late that the therma wrap back heater comes in different sizes dh got me the XL size LOL I had to staple the belt up a bit to make it fit.

Am wondering though if one could use those disposable hand warmers in some type of a belt as a back warmer and if it would be cheaper?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Assuming it is a disk problem, magnesium will help relax the muscles like harry said so it will help it move back, just don't use magnesium oxide as you don't absord much of that and the rest cleans you out, try citrate type. Most people at low in magnesium so continue taking it even after you heal

Inversion tables work great, stretches everything out so it may slide back in.

Tens machines lossens I up too, I love my unit, they are cheap. I see icy hot even has a unit now.

Consider chiropractor too

Good luck

Reactions: beegrowing

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much everyone;especially Traci for all the tips and info! Yeah I just wasn't sure about the cold vs hot treatment.
Yes it's origin is nasty whip lash from getting rear-ended while my car was at the back of a line of fully stopped traffic.The guy hit me hard as my car was smashed in back and crumpled into the car in front of me as well. Decades ago a chiropractor fixed my neck but the lower back got too much impact and caused me to do yoga-ish stretches and move with caution for years. It really did settle down and I've had several decades of activities and chores that never hurt it. BUT as I said, every few years it just "slips" somehow. This time it was putting on socks (I've Got to remember to lift my ankle onto my opposite knee first now----that worked great this morning!!!)....The last time it happened a few years ago,I think I woke up with pain one morning and had to assume I bent/twisted it in my sleep.
Also,yes,if I just Stand still,like fixing food at the stove,it doesn't hurt. But getting up from sitting is a Bear and it's hard to walk at all at first,then it eases up! Will be taking that Epsom salt bath this afternoon now that I see "heat" is the consensus!!!!! Thank You! Advil did not work for me this time and I take it so rarely that I was surprised(it usually knocks pain right out of me when I overdo chores or garden ). I do take alternative arthritis supplements and I think that, overall, those help me have as Few problems with the disc as I do. It Got me This time though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Day 3 and it's "stiff as a board":yuck: day but the actual pinching pain IS going away! That Epsom salt bath was glorious yesterday and I'll probably do it again today. Gee at age 60 I'm glad I've learned how to put on my socks too...hahahaha. When I told DH he said "oh,I always put on socks that way..........":rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Heat only masks the muscle and nerve pain, it honestly actually make things worse. Heat swells muscle, nerve tissue and the area is inflamed enough as it is. To reduce the swelling you must use ice. Even better if you could get to a knowledgeable Massage Therapist they could do Trigger and Pressure Point Therapy to release the muscle tension in a matter of minutes for you. Then combined with cold therapy and rest the pain nealy always goes away within a few days.:thumb:

The advice of using Epsom salts is spot on but i would not go with the really hot water. I also often recommend a product called Formula 303 it is a herbal muscle relaxant, cheap, effective, and does not interfere with meds. Great for muscle spasms, cramping, and general muscle soreness. Folks this is seriously a good product, I have nothing to do with the company that makes and markets it but i personally use it and recommend it to my clients. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts