Ideas if You get an Oversupply?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jan 13, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I wanted to post this on the Poulty Forum regarding use for Eggs when you have an oversupply, but I thought a bigger response might come from here.

Sometimes there are periods that on a farmstead you might get an oversupply of eggs, or maybe they aren't worth the price you sell for the feed conversion.
    What are some suggestions ya'll would have in a rational way to utilized such an oversupply. Include such eggs as duck eggs, too.

Maybe even extend the discussion on oversupply of other meat birds or produce that you figure maybe is better use for your own storage or self sufficiency, rather than the purpose to sell at depressed prices...and feel like it's worthwhile for your sensibilities?

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Extra eggs are used in cooking , I am making pickled eggs today. My dogs also get them and I sell some too.

3. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

1) sell the surplus

2) eat more eggs :)

3) supplement the dog and cats food with egg

4) give yourself a egg shampoo

5) freeze some for those time you are short on eggs. Lightly beat the eggs to break up the yolks before freezing

michele

4. Whistling Pines

Whistling Pines Member

we freeze them as Michelle says. Scramble, cook and feed to the dogs as a treat. Also hard boil and give to the pigs, crush up shells and feed to the chickens.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I cook them, chop them up, and feed them back to the chickens.

6. heather

heather Well-Known Member

i freeze them in 2-3 egg freezer zip lok bags

or boil & give to the birdies

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I like to make angel food cakes with the whites and egg noodles with the yolks. DH sells them to friends and co-workers.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Give them to a food bank. That's what I do with meat that is good, but not saleable. Instead of a discount, I get a full price tax deduction and I feel good about it.

Jena

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We have been supplying the senior center for over 2 years with free surplus and it was a good deal for everyone involved. Now the local grocery store has set the USDA hounds upon us and unless we become certified and inspected by uncle sugar we can not longer give them away.

We think we have a work around. We can give them to individuals of the senior center who in turn can take them for "their own consumption" to the senior breakfasts then "share" their eggs with the group.

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

iv'e been looking for a good recipe for egg noodles . figure that dryed would last a while. we do give some to a friend and with ten of us plus my sil mom take care of the egg supply most of the time.have to be carefull selling them as our idiot govt. has determined that this is a major health issue. they have shut down some venders at local markets.