Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Follower of the Way
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 pygmy wethers who are my pets. One is disbudded and one is not. The one with horns is a pain (literally!) when I trim his hooves. It's a wrestling match, and I usually come out on the losing side.

I'm looking for ideas for some kind of homemade "stocks" that I can lock his head into when I'm trimming, that would hold him still, or really anything at all that would hold him still! What do you all use, or do your docile, obedient goats just stand for you like any right-minded critter would?

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
We have pygmies, too, and we do it as a two-person job. One person (DH) picks up the goat and holds it on his lap while seated on the 2' wooden box the goats play on. I do the trimming, and once they're secure on DH's lap, they usually sit still pretty well.

I really hope you have someone you can ask to help you, because I can't imagine managing it on my own!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Go to fiasco farm and build their milkstand. It's not hard and not pricey at all, especially if you get the economy 2x4's instead of wall studs. For my 16th birthday, my dad built me a milkstand from their site. That was before I got dairy goats. I won't ever go without one again. I use it to give shots and trim hooves... it's amazing. And with pygmies, you can just get up on that milkstand and straddle them, then pick up their back legs while holding them still with your knees. It works good. :)

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've been turning my goats upside down and sitting on them (just enough to hold them in place, not my full weight) while I do their hooves. It's easier on my back, and easier to hold their feet still while I work on them.

Kathleen

·
Follower of the Way
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueJuniperFarm said:
I've been turning my goats upside down and sitting on them (just enough to hold them in place, not my full weight) while I do their hooves. It's easier on my back, and easier to hold their feet still while I work on them.
Ok, I'm chuckling from the mental picture! Thanks for the ideas. I'll look at the fiasco farm milk stand. I was hoping for something I don't have to spend any $$ on, since the silly things are net drains on our budget already.
My dh thinks duct tape is the answer...

I will share a chuckle with you, though. Our city-refugee neighbors had their sister out, and they brought her over to show her our animals. She asked if we milk the goats, and I said, "No, they're both males." Her reply??
"What? Does the milk from the males taste bad?" :rotfl:
Ummmm..............

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
tjmomof4 said:
I will share a chuckle with you, though. Our city-refugee neighbors had their sister out, and they brought her over to show her our animals. She asked if we milk the goats, and I said, "No, they're both males." Her reply??
"What? Does the milk from the males taste bad?" :rotfl:
Ummmm..............
LOL!!! that is toooo funny! I thought everyone just knew which one gave the milk!!!
also -Look around and see what you may have about the place. My DH built me a milkstand from the fiasco farm one using scraps we had. I think he did a little modifying here and there, but it is sturdy, and we spent exactly $0 on it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd agree - milk stand.
I've been in some pretty good positions with goats trying to do hooves. Some I've put on their side and layed across them to hold them down fo rthe trim (a pygmy thaat was being stubborn). I got real mad at a medium sized goat who gulped the feed down that I hoped would hold her (she stood like a dream if the feed was there). Ended up picking up her backside with one arm, she had both back feet in the air and I finished the last of it.....Don't even know how, really, cause I'm not very strong, think I was jsut that mad. But know that my DH didn't want to come over there at that point, I was pretty angry :flame: She wasn't done as good as I'd liked but they were even and we finished them a week later.

Pam

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK...I have to share a story after reading about the person that didn't know boy goats don't give milk. It's not about goats, but still funny! Last summer we had a couple of roosters that we let out during the day to eat bugs, etc. One of them decided to abandon ship, and turned up a couple of days later at a neighbor's house down the road. My husband went by there, and after the neighbors went on about how much they were enjoying having him around, he told them to keep him. The neighbor's response was..."Hey, that's great! I love fresh eggs and ham!!". My husband didn't have the heart to tell them they wouldn't be seeing any fresh eggs anytime soon with a rooster, and to this day he still threatens to sneak down there and slip a few eggs in the grass to see what the neighbor's reaction will be.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,883 Posts
On the same lines....

I taught junior and high school in a very rural school district. You'd think those kids would know, but they don't. Not a year went by that we didn't have the discussion to correct the thought that "only bulls have horns." Sigh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts