Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have electric down at the goat barn, and these cold nights are freezing the water troughs. We have several water buckets inside the stall, but they are getting frozen, too. Our horses are close enough we can run an extension cord out to the water heater, but the goats are pretty far away. Is there an additive or something to add to the water? Any suggestions? Baby, it's COLD outside!!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Nope, no additives for the water. About the only thing you can do is invest in a couple extra extention cords, another tank deicer (make SURE you get a plastic safe one for a plastic tank!) and possibly a 20 amp breaker for your breaker box, depending on how loaded your circuit is. :)

When it gets warm, run underground electric - trust me. :) And to keep from having to drag buckets of water to and from the hose or house, either move the goat pasture OR make a little heated shed down there with running water and a hose. So much more convenient! :)

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, running electric to the horse barn and the goat barn has been on hubby's to-do list since this last spring. I want to be sure the little monster is drinking enough water. I had to carry water jugs out for Sandy (rest in peace) because she wanted NOTHING to do with cold water. I'll have to check into a de-icer and heavy duty extension cords. I was hoping there might be something you can add to the water to up it's freezing point. Hmmm, we should invent that!

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Solar Gary put the design of a solar heated waterer that works in Montana in the Alternative Energy forum. If you have good sun exposure you might want to take a look.

I tried to make a geothermally heated one this fall but it failed. Then I ran a 200' of extension cord down to it and put a light bulb in the insulated box the pails sits in. I put the bulb inside of a large metal can to keep any water drips from hitting the bulb and breaking it. There's a thread in that forum with pics of my attempt.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I have a Freedom Fountain Frostless Waterer in my pasture. I costs about $500. Mine has never frozen. I had to rent a trencher and run water line 2000 feet out to it and a frost proof hydrant. Then I had to dig a deep hole under the waterer, to carry ground heat up to it.

I have the model FF-2C shown on this page:

http://www.behlencountry.com/cattle/waterers/energy_free_waterers/

Genebo
Paradise Farm

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I don't know how to keep them from freezing, but when they do, we tote out gallon jugs of hot water in the morning to pour on top.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Before we built the new barn we ran an electric cord through PVC pipe to the "goat hut". We were afraid the goats would chew an electric cord. It worked for us through a very hard winter. Just start counting down the days until spring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have an old cooler, the large ones, cut off about a third of the lid. It will keep warm water warmer longer than a bucket. On really cold days, I bring a couple pots full of hot water from the house and it doesn't freeze until later when the temps drop. One of my smart girls, figured out that if the exposed bit of water from the cut out part has iced over, she can push the lid off and get to some liquid water because it takes awhile to freeze under the insulated cooler lid. It still invloves some breaking of ice and some hauling of hot water, but I think the cooler does minimize some of the work and the goats have drinkable water for longer than if it were in a bucket.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
On the rabbit forum we were talking about this same thing & one poster said for the rabbits to add 1 tsp. Glycerin to 1 gallon of water and I guess that keeps it from freezing, I haven't tried it yet. Also on the goat forum a little while back there was a thread about this same thing & someone said they fill the inside of old tires with lots of straw then set the buckets in the hole. I think they said that the water still freezes but it takes longer to get that way.
If it's not to far for extension cords then thats the way I'd go, with electric water buckets.

·
Registered
333 Posts
you triggered my memory...I also heard about the tires. I heard that being black they absorb heat from the sun and it keeps it from freezing. I'd forgotten all about that. Sure sounds like an easy solution. Let us know if it works.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll also run back through the suggested threads when I don't have a 3 1/2 year old breathing down my neck. Whenever that might be...*sigh.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll also run back through the suggested threads when I don't have a 3 1/2 year old breathing down my neck. Whenever that might be...*sigh.
I wish I had a 3 year old again. That's a great age......I don't even have grandchildren but thinking I should adopt one. There is a pregnant girl at work and I did ask if I could be their local granny since all parents live out of town.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts