Ideas for chigger control/elimination???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BeckyW, Mar 24, 2005.

1. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was asked by someone who just bought 80 acres in southern Missouri (near the Mark Twain National Forest), if there was any way to rid his land of chiggers. I told him I knew ducks would eat all the ticks they could find but I didn't have any ideas for the much smaller and nasty chigger. (He's not trying to conquer all 80 acres, just the 3 acres around the house!)

Any ideas from the always helpful forum members? Thank you in advance!
    BW

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep the grass short. Also I'm not certain but fire ants :waa: reduces them- certainly they reduce ticks.

3. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

I can WALK to the Mark Twain forest from my property. I hope this article will help you and your friend:

Chiggers

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy

4. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

We have been chigger free around the house and garden (probably 3 acres or so) for quite a few years. It is because of my wifes free range chickens. She lets them out (thirtysomething) of the coop every morning and they free range until dark. Anywhere the chickens free range there are no chiggers or ticks. Of course--you need a fence around the garden to keep the chickens out. Before we had chickens we couldn't even walk the short distance to our garden without being "chiggerd up". The chickens scratch around alot, but that is a small price to pay for being itch free! Plus you get eggs and rooster with home made noodles, my favorite meal. I think a flock of chickens roaming the homestead is a essential investment, at least, for us it is. Whenever I go outside the chickens domain; DEEP WOODS OFF with deet does a good job of keeping chiggers and ticks at bay.