Ideas for building/living in Barn/shop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkmomma, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Well-Known Member

I thought I would start this thread because in the next month or so we will be buying 30 acres and are planning on building a barn/shop to live in temporarily. Hopefully we can get into the shop by December. The place has electric and a well. I read some other threads where some of you highly recommended living in a shop over a mobile home etc. I would appreciate any tips, suggestions, or photos.

2. ozarkmomma

Sure!! Would love to see them. Thanks!! Good luck!

3. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

I'll email them in a sec...also the woodstove went next to the kitchen area and the bed went against the dividing wall.
    Good luck to you too!
    --f.g.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

This is the barn we built about two years ago. Full of birds now so I wouldn't want to live in it but it sure would have made nice living quarters. Large sliding door at the far end. If you want to live in it but want a large door, put that door to the south or put in the slider later.

[​IMG]

5. ozarkmomma

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for sharing the picture. I could live in that!

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a long, long thread with many pics of a person who used 2 containers to build himself a shed with a roof over the middle of them, turned one of the containers into a weekend cabin, then needed to turn the cabin into his permanant living quarters.

He did a great job, I would surely take the effort to find this thread. It is on a different web site:

www.tractorbynet.com

Go to the 'projects' forum I believe it was, and search for a long thread with lots of hits & replies. I'll think I remember 'container' was one of the words in the subject line. Was started less than 2 years ago, occationally gets a new reply now & then so not sure where you will find it.....

But, well worth the effort to find if you are looking to make a cheap home for a while.

--->Paul

7. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a very timely topic for us. We plan on buying land in NW Arkansas in the Ozarks early next spring/summer and put in a shed/barn to live in during the visits we make to our land in the next several years. Then we will save on motel costs, etc as well as work a little on our land/homestead each year till we retire and move out there full time. When we move out we'll live in the shed/barn while our modular home is ready to be put on the foundation. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!

8. ozarkmomma

I found the thread on tractorbynet. Very interesting idea!!

9. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting thread. I havent thought about using a shipping container for temporary housing but it's worth considering.