Ideas for 'baby wire"

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by chickflick, Jun 1, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oops... it's been so long since I had all my bunnies that, while remembering to have my cage maker install 1/2 x 1 BETWEEN cages.. I forgot to do the 'babysaver' thing around the bottom. :eek:

Any ideas 'for quickies' that I can do with 'scraps' or SOMETHING I may have laying around. Dutch Babies are due any day. (duh, me)

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Trim the old soda cans and fit them in place, that should work in a pinch.

3. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

chickflick,

We lost a Champ. x Cal. kit, through the wire. Strong little guy/gal (9 days old). We found the body 30 ft. from the cage.

We did not use baby saver wire when we built our current cages. It is hard to find here and very expensive. I'm in the process of using left over 1/2" x 1" wire to go around the bottom 4" of each cage. Looks like it's going to work just fine.
    I don't know if that really saves us money or not. I'll have to figure out how much extra 1/2" x 1" will be necessary.

Another thing you could try is electric fence wire. You could weave it in, out and around the cage wire, reducing the size of the spaces.

Good luck with your new ones,

Mike

4. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

1/4 or 1/2 hardwire works well if you already have the cage finished. Cut some scrap 3-4" high to fit along the original wire then attach with wire ties or plain wire. Works well in a pinch.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy....we use cardboard on the bottom of our cages for our dutch kits...yes it can get a bit messy with poo but cheap enough to replace every day if need to....get ya some boxes and cut them up to fit the bottom of yer cages...place hay on cardboard....my dutches seem to prefer this over the nesting boxes and mom can chew on the cardboard when board...this also saves the babies from soars between toes when they start to get around...I keep a board on all my cages that are made with wire so that the rabbits can stand off the wire...I have found that the tend to have less toenails ripped out and less rub sores...good luck....dale anne