ideas for 3 x4' wooden boxes needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by abbey_tor_acres, May 30, 2006.

1. abbey_tor_acres

abbey_tor_acres Well-Known Member

We have access to a company that throws out heavy 3 x 4' wooden boxes made from 1-2" x 4-6" lumber (not plywood). I don't know what type of wood they are but the boxes we got 2-3 years ago are still doing great. The lumber and the boxes can vary in size. We picked up 6 of these 3 x 4' boxes yesterday, for example. The company gets large pieces of machinery shipped in these boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides the ones below that I have thought of?

We have put them in the goat pens for the goats to play on or some we have raised a couple of feet off the ground so the goats (dwarf) can sleep under them.

I have thought of using some for planters or for container gardening.

I wish we could use the wood for buildings but they are plastered with nails.

We do have a barn we are building. Do you think we could use the box sides and bottoms for that? It would look odd, I think. :shrug:

Thanks for your ideas!! :dance:

Vicki and David

2. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

Dog Houses
    Baby goat pens
    Chicken coops for different breeds
    Pig shelters
    Work bench
    Trash bins
    Sell them for $10.00 each
    Recycle bins
    Baby anything bins

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Geeze I'd love to get my hands on some of those!

They would make great breeding houses for pairs of birds. Put a roof on top and add a 4 X 8 chicken run... oh, the possibilities!

Ducks and geese would probably really like them for laying their eggs in too!

Brooder boxes...!

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Wow!

Nest boxes? You can put dividers in if needed.
    Obviously to store stuff in.
    My husband would make a wall in his shop out of those, if he could get that many. Make a whole wall into a divided storage wall. If they have hinged lids, leave them on, on some boxes, take them off on others.

So, how do they look when painted? Maybe you could build something like that, but smaller as an organizer in a kid's room...craft room?

Uhhh....and if you run out of ideas, I'm just up in NC, and I'd be glad to help you out by taking those dreadfully bulky thinks off your hands!

Meg

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, but you can't use them for anything. They would truly be an eyesore. Call me and I'll come pick them up......LOL

I can think of nesting boxes, attic boxes, storage boxes.

Also, what about furniture for a shop? What about making some trays for them and storing tools in them?

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Raising worms?

I'm thinking your boxes are very heavy..I've experience with 'machinery' crates and skids. These thing are well built..and like you say..loaded with nails. I've got an 8' x 11 1/2' skid made out of several 8 foot long 4 x 6's for runners and 2 x 8's for the surface..and the surface is completely covered with no slots or open spaces. Right now it is a deck for A-Frame wooden swing..but plan to build walls and roof on it sometime and use it for yard tool storage.

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

They would be nice in the green house to hold all those pots that you would reuse. turn them upside down and drill holes large enough to store hoes, rakes, shovels, brooms etc. We have lots of water hoses that would be nice to have them all organized in one. Build: a potting bench out of some, a playhouse, rustic outdoor furniture. IF all else fails call me.... :shrug:

8. green5acres

green5acres Well-Known Member

I am using the ones that were given to me 5 years ago for planters. I have had tomatoes, peppers green beans etc in them. The biggest one I had rotted out this year.

9. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have the answer!
    send em to me!! :)

Good luck. you'll get lots of ideas here :)

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Save them by taking Apart, And then reusing the lumber as needed.I found one like that about 30 years ago, And used it as A brooder.

11. Simpler Times

Simpler Times Well-Known Member

Subdivide it to make smaller internal compartments and use them for top bar beehives :D

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If they aren't too heavy (and they may be) add handles of some sort, and use one for a camping box -- a place to keep all your camping gear so it doesn't get scattered in between uses.

Kathleen