Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it to where my neighbor was going to put in their own Drive. Good all is Good.

They came up with they didn't want to because they didn't want to cut 3 small trees. They would have Papers drawn up to where we give them Easement if they put one load of gravel a year on it. I would always have ownership of it and could cut them off any time. Then they throwed in this stipulation ( There is always a stipulation with them) If we don't go along with this they are going to put up a ugly Fence. I started to go along with them.

Got to thinking, there is a problem, what they want will not take care of the problem. I'm thinking take care of the problem they put their own drive in. It will never change how they feel about me and they will always have problems. No matter what is done.

Don't Worry Be Happy :gaptooth:

big rockpile

Reactions: Solar Geek

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Why do you continue to 'allow' them to have a conversation with you?

They seem to have a LOT of power over your life . . . and you seem to enjoy it.

Are you a glutton for punishment? Cut them off at the knees and be done with it.

Just saying .. .. ..

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you continue to 'allow' them to have a conversation with you?

They seem to have a LOT of power over your life . . . and you seem to enjoy it.

Are you a glutton for punishment? Cut them off at the knees and be done with it.

Just saying .. .. ..

Thing is they have not said a word I get it second hand.

big rockpile

Reactions: bigjon

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Stand your ground, Rock. If and when they actually approach you, say no. You have something they want, while you want nothing that they have. And if they do put up an "ugly fence"? Paint your side of it or grow something in front of it. Actually, a fence sounds like a win-win for you. It will establish the property line (provided they don't try to put it over the line onto your property or something), and you won't have to look at them/have them looking at you. :D

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
The wattle fence and the split-log one aren't ugly, imo. Both are very traditional and time-honored. Wattle fences (woven sticks) were prevalent back at least into the Middle Ages. They could be built without cutting trees, which often didn't belong to the common people. The fence can be made tight enough to keep small livestock confined. With all the overgrown forsythia here, I maybe should start saving a pile of sticks :)

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Beauty (as well as ugly), truly is in the eye of the beholder. It's really up to BRP
as far as what he wants to do. I'm more of a traditionalist and I have to agree
that the split rail in the proper setting, is a joy to behold. So, in the spirit of being
'neighborly', I've deleted it, but kept the other. Put up your own fence....if you don't like looking at it. . . <grin>...

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Stand firm. It is possible that they are telling people they are being reasonable with you, &#8220;I offered to &#8230;..&#8221; to make you look unreasonable. If they do come to you with a plan, refuse it, even if it is all written up legal like. They are not to be trusted.

Reactions: scooter

·
Administrator
19,419 Posts
Getting information from another is nothing more than gossip and I'm starting to think that there is more to this story. Perhaps the gossip monger is fuelling a feud, simply embellishing the truth or something entirely different but in either case, the whole thing can be stopped by saying, 'I'm really not interested,' to the neighbour and the gossip.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stand firm. It is possible that they are telling people they are being reasonable with you, “I offered to …..” to make you look unreasonable. If they do come to you with a plan, refuse it, even if it is all written up legal like. They are not to be trusted.
Oh yes they have told the other neighbors they can't understand why I treat them the way I do. That they are afraid of me.

They have been going through another neighbor to say what they want to. He is getting tired of them at least he says he is but I just had another neighbor to the back of me come over visit after two years. This one neighbor told him I was trouble claiming his fence was two foot over on me that I was going to take him to court. I told him I know your fence is on the line, that the guy was trying to cause trouble. Anyway we had a good visit. He suggested I burn my place off and get Goats and Hogs. Truth I'm going to let it grow up in brush like Red Cedars and Wild Plums.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big rock, unless you are merely trying and succeeding at entertaining us...take your brain out of your back pocket, realize that rumor is rumor not fact, and wait to see if they approach you "the land owner". Then tell them whatever you feel at the moment. sis
Only thing they have done with us is have their Lawyer send us a Letter saying they was going to sue us if we didn't sell them some property. Our Lawyer had a good laugh at that. Oh they said they was going to sue for Easement too, they have road all along their property.

They only come on weekends and it is very hard to catch them there. Hoping to catch them next weekend, videoing what I have to say so there is no mix up, tell them they are going to have to put their own drive in.

big rockpile

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Be careful with that video idea. In a lot of places, it is illegal to record someone without their consent, and starting our a conversation with an adversarial neighbor with "Hey, I need to talk to you. Hold on, do you mind if I record this exchange for quality purposes?"

There really is no need to record the conversation. If anyone would want proof of what the other said, it is him. Since he is wanting something you have, he may want some proof that you agreed to give it to him. On the other hand, you don't need to prove that you didn't agree to it. All you have to do is refuse to sign the papers that would inevitably need to be drawn up to effect the easement he is requesting.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Hoping to catch them next weekend, videoing what I have to say so there is no mix up, tell them they are going to have to put their own drive in. big rockpile
IF you do that without their consent, THEY will have a very GOOD case against YOU. In most cases that is illegal to do things like that without letting the other party what is going on.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Be careful with that video idea. In a lot of places,
it is illegal to record someone without their consent, and starting our a conversation
with an adversarial neighbor with "Hey, I need to talk to you. Hold on, do you mind if
I record this exchange for quality purposes?"

There really is no need to record the conversation. If anyone would want proof of what
the other said, it is him. Since he is wanting something you have, he may want some proof
that you agreed to give it to him. On the other hand, you don't need to prove that you didn't
agree to it. All you have to do is refuse to sign the papers that would inevitably need to be
drawn up to effect the easement he is requesting.
IF you do that without their consent,
THEY will have a very GOOD case against YOU. In most cases that is illegal
to do things like that without letting the other party what is going on.
Missouri &#8211; An individual who is a party to a wire communication,
or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication,
can lawfully record it or disclose its contents.

http://www.detectiveservices.com/2012/02/27/state-by-state-recording-laws/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts