Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just read a couple of threads that address the issue of kids not realizing how to find the information they need, and I have an idea to share.

I would make a puzzle/quiz in the style of a treasure hunt. To teach familiarity with a dictionary, I might simply make a vocab quiz where each sentence would contain an unusual word, and the student would be required to look up any unfamiliar words and then rewrite the sentence in his or her own words.

Another possibility would be a puzzle based on roots, word origins, that sort of thing - start with a word - say, hygrometer - then direct the student to find another polysyllabic word using one of the same roots - like thermometer - then daisy-chain off that to the next word - thermodynamics. Six or eight words per exercise ought to give a good deal of practice in both thinking of related words independently and in devising strategies to find words even when they can't think of one off the top of their heads.

The same concept can be applied to research in encyclopedias or online or even in a card catalog, if such things still exist!

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
That is a good idea - to use the puzzle and root word search. I think all students need to learn to use the old-fashion-paper dictionary too. But, we also teach our boys to use the online dictionary searches too.

For older students, they can learn to do Internet based research. We have a "guide sheet" we use and I will post it separately as a new thread.

Learning how to find information is important and a good topic to teach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts