Idea about land parcels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Greenthumber, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Greenthumber

Greenthumber New Member

I've been researching eco-agriculture for a few years, and have been looking at various large land parcels in Arkansas. I just ran across this forum yesterday, and have seen numerous posts about people wanting to find a nice plot of land to homestead.

I'm wondering what size parcel most of you look for and why? I'm also wondering if most "like-minded" folks on this board that are looking for land would entertain buying within the same area (sort of a community, but not a weird commune or something like that).

The reason I ask is that there seem to be many efficiencies that can be created by a community, which is probably why the Amish/Mennonite communities have been so successful. There are economies of scale that can be created with tools, skills, produce, intellect, livestock, machinery, etc. in a community atmosphere. For example, you've got a built in co-op that has the scale to sell excess goods to a market.

I'm in a financial position to consider buying a large (500 plus) acre property and splitting it into various sized acreages for re-sale. Part of the benefit for me, of course, are the potential financial gains. Just as important is the ability to live within a community of good people with similar virtues/values.

I'd like input on this idea, and what people are looking for with regard to "homesteading".

Thanks!

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I'm not looking right now (living with my grandmother so she doesn't have to go into assisted living or something), but may again be in the future. Important issues to me would be: access to a Bible-believing church; organic farming neighbors; plenty of good water; some trees on the place (all wooded okay, all open -- probably not); minimum of building codes or restrictions as I want to build with cob and use a composting toilet and graywater system, and have either no electricity or own solar set-up; good southern exposure for solar; drainage (not a flood-plain, though some small percentage wetlands could actually be valuable); a minimum of seven to ten acres, maximum thirty or so (middle-aged woman by myself, have to be realistic about how much I can take care of and use); sensible and neighborly neighbors (no meth labs or junk yards); no restrictions on livestock. Climate would count for something, and for me, I don't know that Arkansas would be a comfortable place to live in the summer. I'd have to think about that.

Sounds like a good idea, I'd do it myself if I had the financial resources.

Kathleen

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I'd want about 3-4 acres. Just me myself, I don't think I could keep mroe than that ni shape, but it's enough to have a horse, some goats, and some dogs. And maybe some sheep, and lots of chickens. ^_^

I'd want friendly neighbors, hills, not TOO Many trees, creeks, and access to a medium-sized city for selling my produts.

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'd suggest a parcel large enough so you own your own scenery. With a small parcel, you could have some jerk of a neighbor build a place in the future that is only a couple hundred feet from your place.

6. Gina

Gina Active Member

Personally, I'd be looking for about 15 acres. 10 wooded and 5 open. I'd like to be able to build a home that is made of sustainable materials (earthship, strawbale, etc), no major restrictions on livestock, I wouldn't want anyone to allow their place to be a junkyard but I wouldn't want massive restrictions. Organic living would be a must. Religious freedom. I'd want it in a place that has a minimum of intereference by the government in homeschooling. Arkansas requires state testing of homeschooled children.

Gina

7. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

There is a village trying to start up in or near Greenfield In. I think
    Simpler Times Village
    her email is sarah@ruralvillage.org
    You might be able to make an investment there.

8. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Simpler Times Village looks like a REALLY cool project- I am on the mailing list, but it's just not in an area that appeals to me.

Cait

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've found breaking up a large area of Land,and moving a bunch of people in on 10 acre parcels.It immediately loses what made the area special and all its charm.

Where I bought my property it was 200 acres broken up into 5 acre parcels,first thing people want to do once they move here is to change things from the way they have been for at least the last 100 years.Me I was use to it because I was raised here.

Now my Son is wanting to buy 500+ acres,building Cabins and have people pay to Hunt and Fish.Have Dad manage it. :cool: I'm afraid that when I pass my place will be sold and broken up.

big rockpile