Idaho?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mwtslf23, May 31, 2006.

1. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Hi,

We are looking to move to Idaho. My question is, are there any areas I should look into for homesteading purposes? I would like to be on a river or creek. Also can anyone tell me the good and the bad about Idaho?

Thank you,
    Mike

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

How much money ya got?

Bring lots!

3. drakkensdottir

drakkensdottir Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Bare. We just moved back to Louisiana after spending 6 months up near Coeur d'Alene and there's no way I'd move back to Idaho!! Too blasted expensive for one. And the people we met were crazy!

~ Drak

4. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey DRAK, where on the northshore? Mandeville, Covington, Hammond, north of there? Just curious.

Ray

5. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Personally noth Idaho is one of my favorite places in the world - there's few places as beautiful or as wild. So too with N. Montana - although the geography changes a little as you move east.

Maybe I'm jaded from having done the big city thing for so long but I didn't find the prices too high - if you were looking a ways from the urban areas (which is what we were looking at).

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

I don't consider land near the Canadian border urban by a far fetch, yet property is selling for between 20 and 30 thousand dollars an acre and it's like that all over N. Idaho.

7. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow.

8. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

I live in south central ID. Irrigated farm land is still affordable in this area if you get away from the cities. Real estate prices are increasing like everywhere else though.
    There are opportunities for homesteaders with skills, a niche crop/product, and a good work ethic.
    Low taxes, cost of living isn't bad, not much state meddling in ag. or any business for that matter, 2.5 % unempoyment rate, lots of sunny weather with less than 10" of precipitation annually, long growing season, Plenty of public access to mountains and canyons with few "KEEP OUT" signs and good hunting and fishing. Most of the people are friendly, conservative, hard working, and peaceful.

9. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Quiet. Stop it. Hush.

10. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

Having lived in extreme northern Idaho for many years (north of Sandpoint), I can agree with what 'bare' says. Due to family issues (along with other pressing issues), we had to move away 2 years ago and were not able to keep our remote, off-grid property there when we left. We would move back in a heartbeat, as to me it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen or been and a piece of me will always be in those mountains :Bawling:
    However, we have been looking at land and property prices there and were just astounded. A friend who lives in Moyie Springs emailed me RE listings: 5-6 acre parcels in Paradise Valley for $130,000!!! Granted, you can find cheaper properties, but I did a search and could not find 1 home on more than 1 or 2 acres for less than $250K. That's just not right.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

Cheapest listing in today's paper 20 acres, unimproved, cutover, no chance of utilities...299,000. That's only somewhat less than fifteen thousand an acre. Cheaper properties indeed!

12. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i know nothing about idaho except having a friend who lives there.

however, less than 10" of rain a year???? that's not much. and what is considered a long growing season?

13. bare

bare Head Muderator

He's talkin' the desert. Ever heard of Craters of the Moon? We get somewhat more moisture here in the spendy part of the state.

14. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

:eek: Ouch!:eek:

Does the locale Mickey D's pay $25 per hour. How can "working Joe's" afford 30 grand a acre? :shrug:

Kenneth

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I'm SO glad we bought our riverfront property when we did. It's amazing how fast the prices have gone up in the past 5 years.

16. bare

bare Head Muderator

They can't. But the good part is, there are tons of minimum wage (5.15/hr.) jobs! Translated, that means that if you work three full time jobs, you bring home almost TEN dollars an hour after taxes, so if you're lucky, you might be able to afford to rent a trailer space in a crappy mobile home park to put up your tent.

You won't be thanking your lucky stars when your county catches up on their tax assessments Lisa. I see they are quite a bit behind.

17. Lisa in WA

I'm sure they'll get there, but we'll manage fine with it. This place is paradise.

18. Lisa in WA

19. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

If you are buying property and worried you can't pay the future property taxes, you should not be buying the property. I can tell you that there are plenty of well paying jobs in Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint and Spokane. There is, for the technically savvy, telecommuting. Coldwater Creek, among others, has a significant number of high paying jobs (ie > $60,000 annually). There are also a number of medium size companies and small startups that pay well and offer opportunities. The trick here is to know the economy. The US is moving to a knowledge worker/service based economy. If you don't have an education, you will be left behind be it in North Idaho or Seattle or wherever. Logging and those types of industries are dying and there are no high paying jobs there unless you are in white collar engineering or other knowledge based work.

In the US, as a whole, only 3% of the workforce is paid minimum wage, the rest higher. My 17yo is being paid $7.50 an hour at her summer job and she is working in air conditioning and not flipping burgers.

Your statement is flat wrong.

20. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

That's exactly the problem. Minimum wage here is $5.15 an hour, and employment (especially work that pays more) isn't always easy to find.

I don't think these prices are sustainable, but unfortunately, I'll have to weather them out since I already live here. Rentals aren't any better IMHO. I'm living in a one bedroom little house (and not a fancy one, either) and it costs $450 a month...and I'm in a little podunk town...it's not like I live in Sandpoint...:grump: