I'd like to order some fruit trees for Texas....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Living Simply, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Living Simply

Living Simply Active Member

...and don't know where to start looking for them except for local nurseries. Does anybody have some favorite nurseries that ship, that I can contact?

Christine

2. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

Womack's nursery in De Leon carries exceptional stock in what they grow. http://www.womacknursery.com/

If you haven't done so already, find out what varieties are recommended for your area. I've got the links handy as I just updated the list I carry in my wallet to have handy when stopping at nurseries during the clearance sales in progress right now.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit.html
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruitgarden/geographic.html

FYI, i'm in Huntsville and this is the list I settled on for my area. Things in parenthesis were only on one of the lists I used. Things on teh experimental list will either be better bets or worse as you move south of my location (almonds, cherries, and raspberries will be worse off)
    Grapes:
    Muscadine: Regale, Summit, Higgins, Cowart, Fry (Doreen, Carlos)
    American/hybrid:Mars,Orlando[Seedless],Roucaneuf - LeNoir/BlackSpanish,
    Favorite., Champanel, Blanc duB, Mid South, Ms Blue, Ms Blanc, Daytona,
    Suwannee, Conquistador, Lake Emerald, Stover, Norris, Herbemont

Apples: Jerseymac, Mollie's Del, Grany Smith (Gala, Starkrimson Red Del)
    Apricots: Bleinheim, *Royal
    Bananas: Orinoco/Horse, Dwarf Caven., Lady Finger, Apple/Manzana
    Blackberries: Brazos, Rosborough, Womack, Brison (Arapaho,Navaho,Humble)
    Blueberries: Woodard, Tifblue, Climax, Brightwell, Premiere (Delite,
    Briteblue, Sharpblue, Beckyblue)
    Chestnut: Chinese, Nanking, Seedlings, Revival
    Figs: *Texas Everbearing, Celeste, *Alma
    Jujubes - All Zones: Li, Lang
    Peaches: Sentinel, Dixieland, Harvester, Redskin (Palace, White Hale)
    Pears: Ayres, Orient, ?Kieffer, asian (Hosui, Shinseiki, 20thCen/Niji.)
    Pecans: Desirable, Choctaw,Sheyenne,Shawnee,Kiowa,Caddo,Cape Fear,Sioux
    Persimmons: *Native, *Texas Black, Fuyu (Fuyugaki) (Eureka, Hachiya)
    Plums: *Methley, Allred, *Bruce (Morris, Ozark, Premier)
    Pomegranates: Wonderful
    Nectarines: Redglobe, Armking, Crimson Gold
    Strawberries: Sequoia, Douglas, Chandler, Tioga, Fresno, Tangi (Sunrise,
    Cardinal, Allstar)
    Walnuts: Reda, Fately, Hansen, Broadview (Black,carpat/English, Thomas)

Experimental:
    Pistacio: Kerman (female) and Peters (male)
    Almonds: Halls Hardy, Star
    Raspberries: Dorman Red
    Sour cherry: Montmorency (north)
    Olive (Olea europaea L.): Ascolano, Barouni, Mission
    Guave: seedlings
    Kumquats: Nagami (acid,rind sweet), Meiwa (sweet), Marumi (acid)
    Experimental:
    Pistacio: Kerman (female) and Peters (male)
    Almonds: Halls Hardy, Star
    Raspberries: Dorman Red
    Sour cherry: Montmorency (north)
    Olive (Olea europaea L.): Ascolano, Barouni, Mission
    Guave: seedlings
    Kumquats: Nagami (acid,rind sweet), Meiwa (sweet), Marumi (acid)

3. Living Simply

WOW! You've done most of the work for me! :D Its a huge help....I've received a couple of catalogs and just to try to sort out the apples that will work in my area was overwhelming! Now at least I have a starting point! I'm in between Houston and Hempstead.

I have asked Womack to send me a catalog, thank you!

Christine

4. Ray_Scheel

Well, for *apples* the Stark Bros' catalog is the only place to find the Starkrimson Red Delicious. They have most of the other varieties as well, and in a variety of rootstocks. I haven't ordered from them, but they seem to have kept thier good reputation despite recent (3? years ago) ownership changes, though they are as pricey as they've always been.

I'm growing out some dug rootstock and plan to swipe scions from a neighbors thriving 5n1 apple tree in the next year or two and graft my own, since I know all those genetics are winners where I am, even though he doesn't know what the varieties are. One looks like a gala, another a grannie smith, and yet another resembles a red delicious - but he doesn't even remember where he bought it.

Keep in mind that the big Houston nurseries are having their annual sales to make room for christmas trees. I've had bad luck with thier peaches (possibly the wrong rootstock for my sandy soil combined with wierd weather this spring flooding them, in particular those from the yellow and red signs) but $ wise I'm still ahead of mail order. But pears, apricots, and ornamentals can be had for a song tright now, and as large container plants at that, though I have not seen apples in previous years (but they might have some, who knows).

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

One thing to check on is the root stock used for your apple trees...we used to buy from an orchard supply company(when we had our commercial orchard) and could pick out good rootstock suitable for our type soil....there are various ones and if you have alot of wind,or acid soil or other different problems you can find rootstock that will aid you in growing trees sucessfully. Walmart trees are generic....a good local nursery that grows their own stock out would be #1 choice. Good trees aren't cheap but easier than replacing. DEE

6. Living Simply

I went to a local nursery for the 70% off sale and found two Redglobe and two Redskin. I found none of the apple trees on the list, or anything else. I did buy two Concord grape plants as I didn't find any from the list, and they were cheap enough it won't hurt too much if they don't survive! :D I also purchased two raspberry plants, but do not know which variety it is as it wasn't labelled.

Thank you for the advice on the apples. I will have to look for some rootstalk that will withstand high winds, sandy/clay soil with poor drainage! With all the storms and water we've been getting, the water is standing a long time!!

Its a work in progress, but lots of fun!

Christine

7. Ray_Scheel

I also have been know to experiment with interesting but marginal things when they are 70% off, but don't have any real success stories yet (though I might if my Loquats ever bloom to hold fruit through the winter).

Preferably put the Raspberries in the coldest part of your planting area and a location where you can mow around them for a 8-10' radius to keep them contained. They are not as aggressive as blackberries but will send up shoots from roots a good distance from the main stalk. If a nursery in the area actaully managed to grow them well enough to propagate them, they should do ok, though for that matter with raspberries its hard to find anything other than Dorman Red.

On the grapes - there is a reason the list of acceptable grapes is very short despite there being hundreds of varieties used in the trade. I think they might do better in a spot of heavier clay, but mainly put them away from any spot you might want to put in a larger vineyard so you cdon't contaminate the area with the diesease a Concorde is likely to attract.

FYI, there are several plant swaps in this region you might want to keep tabs on. One, at Merver arboretum in Spring, has a website: http://plantmeet.com and usually gives info on other swaps. Another is in Ft. Bend County county, and College Station had a swap for the first time this fall that looks like it will be repeated.

8. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

"HUNTZVULL" eh? Remember Brother Dave Gardner? One of my "idols."

9. Ray_Scheel

The name is real familiar, but I'm not placing it exactly. Then again I'm a transplant of about 8 years and have made a point to avoid getting entangled in the seemingly perpetual local power squabbles...

10. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Ray thanks so much for the great information. I am also in Huntsville. This is my hometown. I grew up out in the woods in this area. :) My husband and I moved all over the place and finally have moved back to this area. We have a small acreage and have been planning to plant fruit trees. I really appreciate the list and varieties you suggested. Thanks, Rosemary