I'd like tips on finding a buck for breeding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RedEarth, Dec 15, 2005.

1. RedEarth

RedEarth Well-Known Member

I have a Nubian goat, and I want to have her bred by a pygmy so I can try Kinder goats. I found someone nearby who has a buck, and we brought him over to our place and kept him here, but the first time definitely did not work, and when she went into heat again, we brought him back again. We're not sure that anything happened with our second try either, but she did seem very receptive. If she goes into heat again, I think I should try a different buck, but I really don't know how to find one. Are there any good ways to locate a buck for breeding?

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Did you hand breed? Or just put the buck in with her? I'm just guessing, but might he need a little help getting up there? If you hand breed, you can just hold her by a hay bale or two, and let him get up on it while you hold her in place. KWIM?

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a goat club in your area? They may know of someone if the buck you used actually was able to breed your doe and it isn't taking.

4. RedEarth

The buck was very afraid of me, it didn't seem possible for me to "hand breed". In the pen there were things he could climb up on like a railroad tie, and things, and she was acting very interested and receptive. So I just hoped things would happen. Maybe I could see if the owner could help hand breed next time if she goes back into heat and I can't find another buck.

5. RedEarth

I've done some searching, but haven't found anything like a goat club around here. In fact I don't know anyone else around here who has dairy goats. I'm having to figure things out as I go.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

there may have been things for him to climb on but that doesn't mean that he was able to utlize them. next time, get three hay bales. put two down like a chute on either side of the doe. then put one behind her like a runway, extending behind her. put the buck on a leash and walk him down the runway. Make sure she is in a standing heat.
    You could also try AI.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Jessica, you said the doe was very receptive but did you see this buck mount and mate her or even attempt to breed? Not clear if the problem is a height issue or an actual breeding one. I have found that bucks do find a way to get the job done unless the difference in height is very pronounced.

8. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

Another question, is the buck a proven buck? What is the age of the buck?

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Also you could consider breeding her to a Boer buck if you found one in the area. Boer/Dairy makes a very nice cross. I would ask about goat breeders in all your local feed stores and auction barns to boot. Just don't settle for the 1st one you find though, make sure the buck is healthy! Good luck!