Ick. Gnats!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jodi, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I have a slight gnat problem in my kitchen. I had a counter-top composter that...well, I forgot to empty it and it attracted gnats. That was about 5 weeks ago. I removed the composter then, but the gnats have not gone away. There arn't a lot of them, but everyday there will be one or two in my sink. When I open the garbage can there is sometimes one in there.

Anyway to get rid of them? I can't find anything else in the kitchen that might be attracting them. They just won't go away!

Jodi

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Jodi,
    Five weeks is too long a time for them to hang around after you got rid of the source. They are now breeding somewhere else. If you have a disposal, look inside with a flashlight. There may be debris that needs to be cleaned. A brush may be needed to get it all cleaned. They also may have moved to a house plant or to the pan under the refridgerator. If you have floor drains, the p-trap may have gone dry, allowing them access to the pipes where they also can breed. A little bleach in water poured down the drain will work. Traps will be suggested by others, but they only indicate the gnats are still there. They don't eliminate the problem. If you can find where they breed, you can end it all.

3. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I wondered if it might be my garbage disposal. I do not like garbage disposals, but it came with our house. Guess I'll have to look into the disposer as the possible source cause I can't think of anything else. I don't think it's the fridge.....icky things, gnats.

Jodi

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I got some gnats in an apartment I was renting once (a bunch of bachelors who woulda guessed) and here is how we finally got rid of them.

First find anything that they might be living on and clean it up. Needless to say a bachelor pad full of sloppy 18-25 year old guys had all sorts of places for them to breed. They loved all the empty pizza boxes.

Second fill up all the sinks in the house with soapy water and leave lights on over them or the overhead lights in the room on. The gnats are attracted by the lights and once they touch the soapy water it traps them. The sinks looked like someone had dumped celery seeds or pepper in the bottoms of the sinks after a night or two.

A week or so of this and they were all gone. Keep in mind our problem was most likely much worse than yours. It may only take a day or two for you.