Icelandic Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by shadowfax, May 15, 2004.

1. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

I have read several articles on the merits of Icelandic sheep--especially if you are keeping sheep through the soggy winters of Washington. However, I wonder if anyone here has experience with this breed...I am raising them mostly for meat.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Don't know about Icelandics personally, but read they are hardy. Soay do well in Washington, and there are several breeders there www.soaysofamerica.org is the breeder site

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Icelandics are making their reputation on wool mostly, but are supposed to be dual purpose fpr meat as well and I know people who are (planning on) milking them too. We had Icelandics as a breed of the month, it can be hard to find without resetting or using the search function. I did and here it is, Icelandics There were some others too but I don't recall what the topics covered but if you type in Icelandic intot he search this forum box you'll pull up some more info.

4. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

5. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

wow, thank you for such a detailed reponse on such an obscure topic!

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

One thing I wonder about , how hard is it to separate the tog from the thel if you dont want to spin them together?