Icelandic Lambs

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by lisarichards, Apr 12, 2005.

1. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

Man, this is our year for black lambs. One of our Icelandic girls gave us twins this morning, both black, and she was shocked. Her previous lambs in the last two years were both white twins, though one has a black underbelly like her daddy. But these two girl lambs are almost all black, though one has a browner face. We had a hard time convincing mama that yes, they really were her's. She's penned in because of the convincing necessary, though we'll probably let her out tomorrow, as they are bonded well now.

Icelandic lambs

2. lisarichards

Details: One little Icelandic ram lamb, who I'd really like to keep intact, because his daddy is a fabulous ram, temperment, fleece quality, and stud ability:

[​IMG]

And one little female lamb, more brown than black now that I've been up close and personal.

[​IMG]

3. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

I wish our Icelandic will give beautiful babies like you our will becoming in a another month HOPEFUL

4. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

I have a question about sheep......With cows, if a heifer is twinned with a bull, she is very often infertile(called a freemartin) is this true with sheep?

Thanks,

Sherry

5. lisarichards

We haven't heard that at all, Sherry, and I certainly hope it's not true!

Two more Icelandic lambs today, twin boys, from the same ram. This little guy is almost the spitting image of his daddy (our Ram named Sue). I just have to figure out what johnny cash would have named A Boy Named Sue's son! (Maybe Johnny!)

[​IMG]

So I now have three registerable Icelandic ram lambs. Anyone want to trade? I'd love to have another ram that I can breed to Sue's daughters.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sheep do not produce freemartins. Not all cattle twins (Male Female) are freemartins either. I know the reason cattle will often throw a freemartin twin is because of the high levels of testosterone but I think the reason it doesn't hold true for sheep is because of how the ewe carries her lambs and feeds through the placentia is different than in bovines. I wonder if one of our lurking veterinarians can chime in on this?