Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do i need to wash it before spinning or can i just flick open the lock and spin from it?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Icelandic is not as greasy as some fleeces, so you can just flick open the locks and spin from them.
I usually give mine a single wash in hot water to get rid of most of the lanolin (not all) then comb the locks and spin. :)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a better soap, blue dawn or clarifying shampoo? Or just do a hot soak for it?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I found Dawn more harsh on the fiber than Suave Clarifying when I did my comparison wash of a fleece. I would maybe use it for a first wash on a fleece that was very high in lanolin. WIHH made a good point - wash your hair in Dawn dishsoap and see if it feels soft or harsh. Of course, our hair is not as greasy as a heavy lanolin fleece. :) Still, I found that plain old Suave Clarifying was my favorite.

Here is the thread where I did some comparisons, complete with caveat that it was my first attempt at washing a fleece.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/co...3647-what-do-you-use-wash-your-raw-fiber.html

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kelsey, did you sell all of your fleeces? If not, i am interested in more. This is LOVELY!!!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you recommend blending or are they good on their own.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just let me know what the total will be and i will shoot you payment via paypal.

Kasota: I will take a pic today when i get home if there is enough natural light. The picture i took last night looked awful. The feel of this stuff is amazing!! Can't imagine what the lamb ones are like.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts