Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like the Icelanders have some backbone.........

http://www.france24.com/en/20081123-protests-geir-haarde-resignation-financial-crisis-iceland

***REYKJAVIK - Thousands of Icelanders demonstrated in Reykjavik on Saturday demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Geir Haarde and Central Bank Governor David Oddsson for failing to stop a financial meltdown in the country.

It was the latest in a series of protests in the capital since the financial meltdown that crippled the island's economy.

Hordur Torfason, a well-known troubadour in Iceland and the main organiser of the protests, said the protests would continue until the government stepped down.

"They don't have our trust and they are no longer legitimate," Torfason said as the crowds gathered in the drizzle before the Althing, the Icelandic parliament.....****

·
Registered
15 Posts
Things are turning very ugly out here. Seriously ugly.
Next saturday will probably be very loud, probably very violent. I am hoping not.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
For other news of the rioting look at http://www.mahalo.com/Iceland_Riots

if you dont think this could happen here in the several states, your head is in the sand, it only took what 5 weeks for the rioting to begin in Iceland, and they are a pretty docile bunch of easy going folks...... the people of the several states kind of have the collective "I want it NOW" instant gratification syndrome and rioting is inevitable should the economy get furhter stressed and more folks lose their savings and their homes, and the jobs, and not all in that order.....

The Drudge Report says that Russia is wondering about if a collapse happens if they can take back Alaska.... and that the several states will break up into 6 zones of more or less racial or "tribal" sections.....

Best get to those final preps you were thinking about putting off til after the holiday shopping is over and done with, fill those fuel cans with the cheaper fuel now, and stock up on the precious metals, gold, silver, brass and powder propelled lead.

The sky is not falling, the ground is rising up to meet it.

William
Idaho

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Newsfrettir, it looks like you are using some sort of online, generic translator... I assume that's just for the sake of saving time, because your English here is excellent and the translation on your site seems very stiff like an translation program.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Small update since I have not visited for quite a while ..
The Icelandic PM has announced today that he has malignant cancer in his esophagus. There will be elections on May 9th. From Monday and into the week were violent protests and teargas was used for the first time in 60 years last Wednesday night. http://newsfrettir.com/?p=2121

Things are very rough out here to say the least. As I feared.

Regarding the translations - translating generator.
There is no translation generator for Icelandic to English. Someone set one up but it made no sense, that is a few years back. Everything is translated by hand, and the reason for the translations to be stiff is that it is in fact very difficult to translate Icelandic into English, unless taking an enormous time for each article in the attempt to not change the article from the original one. But I write every single word up myself, and I do not have the spare time to finalize the articles, this is taking far too many hours off my sleeping hours per day already.

This would be much easier if there was an actual translation generator, but on the other hand, I would have nothing to do.

I hope you are all doing well still,
Best wishes from Iceland

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Small update since I have not visited for quite a while ..
The Icelandic PM has announced today that he has malignant cancer in his esophagus. There will be elections on May 9th. From Monday and into the week were violent protests and teargas was used for the first time in 60 years last Wednesday night. http://newsfrettir.com/?p=2121

Things are very rough out here to say the least. As I feared.

Regarding the translations - translating generator.
There is no translation generator for Icelandic to English. Someone set one up but it made no sense, that is a few years back. Everything is translated by hand, and the reason for the translations to be stiff is that it is in fact very difficult to translate Icelandic into English, unless taking an enormous time for each article in the attempt to not change the article from the original one. But I write every single word up myself, and I do not have the spare time to finalize the articles, this is taking far too many hours off my sleeping hours per day already.

This would be much easier if there was an actual translation generator, but on the other hand, I would have nothing to do.

I hope you are all doing well still,
Best wishes from Iceland
I saw that (about the riots) and was thinking of you. Is there anything we can send you? Anything you are in need of?

Are prices skyrocketing or spiraling?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Iceland seems like a cool country that I would like to visit one day and check out all the interesting sights and people there. I knew someone who was stationed there and he said it rocks!
I hope they get things straightened out!

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Cancer in the esophagus is almost always fatal.

Will you be going on Saturday? I would suggest watching it on TV instead!

Friends of mine went to a demonstration once and got arrested even though they did nothing but watch. When a policeman is hit by a brick, sometimes he guesses as to who threw it. It is better to not be anywhere near such trouble!

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I second seedspreader's thoughts. Is there anything that we could send you? Please be careful.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Your doing an awesome job on getting the news out.
I agree with Seedspreader and Marilyn. Let us know if you need something and be careful out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts