Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I buy the ice or snow Guards for metal roofs? I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot but both said they cannot get them. I called my metal roofer but he is out of town. He had told me to buy the Guards "off the shelf" at Lowe's and he would install them. So....I am assuming he cannot buy them?

Anyone know where to buy the Ice Guards for metal roofs? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The guards might be a special order item. I know our local Lowes has a huge metal roofing display and all of it is special order.
If your roof guy is licensed I'd let him order them since he will get the contractor's rate.

~~ pelenaka ~~

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, good point. I did talk to the roofing man today and he can order them and just install them too. He was trying to see if he could save me some money but in this case, I just need to let him order them and get them installed. We had 11 inches snow last week and it is just now melting off the metal. I spent a pile of money on special gutters and I don't need them messed up.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Though do also think about the times you need to get the snow off the roof.

Last winter for example, we had several feet of snow, then fairly heavy rains. Many a roof collapsed due to the tremendous weight on them.

That was one time I was very glad I was able to pull the snow down off the roof with semi ease. If I'd have had the snow guards on it, the job would have been much more difficult, if not impossible.

Not saying not to do it, just do consider how well your roof can take the possible load.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,900 Posts
We have a metal roof and we just let 'er slide. We moved the vent stack up close to the peak before the metal was installed.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
We have a metal roof and we just let 'er slide
Same here. We also have metal on a shed & it was especially funny when it slid off on our 15 year old son as he was doing chores. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think the people you talked to at Depot / Lowes are just lazy, or new.
I worked there for over 6 years. You can get em, they are just special order.
Gotta go through the pro / contractor desk.

I put some on my roof at my old place, they really helped! Before we had them, one load of snow let go and almost ripped off the gable over our porch!
A friend of mine had her entire deck ripped off by a big load of snow from a metal roof!!

Reactions: Echoesechos

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone - Yes, we do allow the snow/ice to just slid off the metal roofs at our Cabins and on the Barn buildings. But, I cannot allow it to slid off the Main House roof since we put up expensive nice Half Round Gavalume Gutters with corrugated down spouts and the slid off would rip off the nice Gutters!

Last night we heard a loud CRASH behind the house and a load of ice/snow had slid down one roof line and onto a lower metal roof part........it was scary.

I have decided to just let the Roofer put up the Guard things since he did a good job on the roof and he has come back out to check on the roof after the Gutters went on.....and basically I like him and he did a good job and so instead of me trying to save a couple of dollars, I will ask him to put on the Guards and be safe about it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With Lowes, Home Depot or any hardware store having snow guards, going online and looking for "snow guards" in Google I a dozen or more place and was able to compare prices.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I've installed hundreds of metal roofs in snow country and my first piece of advice is do not install snow guards unless the slide off is hazardous to human health, such as right above a doorway, etc.

Installing snow guards holds snow and ice on top of the roof, rather than letting it slide off. The longer snow and ice sits on your roof, the higher your chances of a roof leak.

The plastic kind that say you can stick them on with adhesive do not work. First decent ice slide will knock them off.

If you have to screw them down through the roof panel, that is one more hole through your metal roof and you have increased your chance of roof leaks.

If you have a standing seam metal roof, the best kind are the "snow bar" type systems that clamp to the ribs of the roof panels rather and don't require a penetration with a screw. These materials can be purchased from Dynamic Fastener. You can go on line to look at their product selection.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
You can take the rat guard, or the piece of metal that runs along he bottom of the walls that the metal sits on, and screw a piece of that to the roof, with the piece that would normally sit facing up, pointing towards the peak of the roof.. That will make one long solid bar to hold back the snow. That's what a lot in this area do.. the snow jacks don't work as well as one long piece..

I know a lot here say they let the snow slide off, but if you have doors, or garage doors like I do, a large slide could get a person hurt falling from 12 feet up..

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I only use the slid guards over a door way. Hate gutters with a passion and refuse to install them.

:D Al

Reactions: HuskyBoris

·
Registered
401 Posts
I installed the 10' long metal pieces,for snow guard. The weather had already turned cold enough and the individual caps require a warm roof for adhesion,as well as being screwed to the roof. I got the metal from my metal roofing supplier, big box stores will not carry any snow guard in stock.

·
cowpuncher
638 Posts
Same here. We also have metal on a shed & it was especially funny when it slid off on our 15 year old son as he was doing chores. :D
I'm a let it slide guy as well but you just made the perfect argument to put them over doorways,,last year a guy was injured pretty seriously by sliding snow mixed with ice hitting him in melon.
the rest is let er slide,,thats why I put a metal roof on to begin with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts