Ice melter safe around pets

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, Jan 24, 2005.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I am curious what you all use on the sidewalks to melt snow and ice that is safe around pets? Our cocker licks his paws after he has been outside and I worry about putting stuff down but yet I don't want any humans falling either. What do you recommend?

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Check into what it is really made from.

A number of those fancy ice melters are sugar based. Usually those are the ones that look like washing powder. Also safe to use where can run off to grass or plants. Probaby OK for the pup but might want to look into it further.

If really worried stick to sand only.

I don't use any of them. Know the snowplow driver. He stops and drops me a pile of the road salt which I put in a bucket. Great stuff, don't get hard like them store brought Wimpy kinds, plus in massive amounts kills the weeds in the sidewalk cracks.

One thing to watch out with the pup, is them Swifter gizmo cleaning cloths they advertise to clean floors, etc. Been hearing they contain a form of glycol which is the stuff used in antifreeze. If a dog gets that on the paws and licks, even in small amounts, they can die of kidney failure.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Cosmic you may want to check and see if that road salt is treated with calcium chloride to make it work better!!!! I just use plain old table salt on the steps it is fine enough that it doesn't leave much residue.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I never use salt or melter of any kind on my property. My steps are poured concrete with old street pavers for risers and have lots of steel in them. Salt will kill masonry after so many years no matter the care used. I clean and sweep good. In the rare occasion ice may form I only use sand. I've got some gems of back steps / porch that is a collector item with old paver granite foundation / risers; is getting impossible to find the stones any more. Need like a hundred years of wear by horseshoes.

The sidewalks belong to the city. The more salt the better. :D If they go lame I call the hot line until they fix it. :rolleyes: That road salt is serious material.