ICE in NY, VT, NH, ME?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MorrisonCorner, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Who knew? ICElandic sheep are not built for ice. Had the devil's own time getting them down off the hill this morning. They aren't heavy enough to break through and basically were just sliding fluffy (terrified) things. The dogs can't keep their feet under them, the ATV can't go in a straight line... even the chickens are going down! The driveway has become a river of ice, we can't even get the tractor, with chains, out of the bay because it can't get a grip.

The town sanded our hill by hand. Nobody has had to do that in 100 years! But two men carried shovelfulls of sand, one at a time, up our half mile road because nothing is coming up with tires on it until there is something to grip. We did what we could ferrying sand on the ATV but it made the guys nervous to have us coming in for another load sliding sideways at their truck.

How's everyone else faring? Next year we really MUST put that barrell of sand in we keep talking about!

2. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I have to admit...the thought of all your sheep going sliding down the hill...too funny!!! But you are a bit farther north than we are, and we don't seem to have the same amount of ice you have.

The weather this season has been the strangest I've seen in a long time. It's suppsoed to get around 45 today!!! I mean, this is March weather...not December/January weather!! I worry it's all gonna come around and bite us later, and we'll get dumped on in March...end up with 6 feet of snow when the crocuses are just starting to break through.

Not really a white Christmas this year. Should we try for a white Easter instead?

3. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

I'm in northern VT, currently waiting for the roads to clear a little so I can go to work (don't know if I'll make it today or not). This morning we went to let the dogs out after my roommate got home from work (she works 2 miles up the road, I work 35 miles away). The dogs ran off the porch like the normally do and just started sliding. My dog tried to jump on my roommates dog and ended up on her back still sliding toward the road. It's pretty nasty out up here. Our front yard and driveway are nothing but ice, can't make it to the driveway without sliding (only about 15 feet from the porch steps). Took my roommate almost five minutes to get to her car and back. The main road doesn't look too bad, so I'm probably going to try to head to work in a little bit now. Good luck to anyone in this region!

One more little tip, call 511 or search for your state and "511" online to get the newest road forcasts. I know it's up and running in VT, not sure about anywhere else. The Vermont website is www.511vt.com.

4. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Are you people kidding? I live outside Shoreham. Temp 42o water everywhere. Been above freezing for 2 days. Cold at night, but not bad at all.
    Next week??? Who knows. Have fun,
    John#4

:confused: