Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a trial of raising some of these. We may have an unusual type of hover fly here, as I found some rat tailed maggots in a rubbermaid tub filled with newspaper and water. The lid had cracked due to the weather changes, and water had been soaking there for a year before I decided to become superwoman and push the thing over to empty it.

Lo and behold there were these very large, grub-like, pink creatures with long tails. It took me a couple of hours to find out what they were online, but these were far bigger than any pictures I've seen out there (body was about an inch long and breathing tube was two inches long). And they were very tough skinned. I fed them to the chickens, and they had trouble pecking them apart, losing interest after a few unsuccessful pecks. And my ladies have very sharp little beaks on them.

The comments I've seen floating out there make them sound like wonder bait, but hard to find. Is it worth trying and selling on Ebay ten for a dollar?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was wondering. But the difference is, these are so much bigger you'd only be able to fit maybe 50 in one of those smaller containers. And they're extremely tough skinned. I'm thinking a person could reuse the same one over and over, not needing to use as many as the smaller versions being sold in other online bait shops.

When spring comes, I'll have to post a pic comparing them to the size of a quarter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts