Ice Fisherman Adrift on Lake Erie

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Feb 25, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Has any one heard anything about the ice fisherman caught on a ice flow in Lake Erie Heard a bit on the news that there is some sort of rescue operation going on. My DB sometimes ice fishes on Erie.

Thanks
    Duke

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

It happens around here every year.
    Sometimes its several groups and shanties on one large flow......sometimes they don't even realize they are adrift.

And if the fish are biting-----sometimes they get annoyed with being "rescued"
    asking the resuers to "come back in a couple of hours."

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of ice fishing on Lake Erie in the 50's & 60's! :eek:
    Pulling perch out two & three at a time, I don't know if we would have noticed we were adrift either!

My father would drive that big old Ford, loaded down with the family, fishing gear and the shanty all the way out to where you could barely see land!

The funniest memory is how my mother would heat the hot dogs in water she dipped out of the Lake and make hot cocoa using it too! :no:

Ah memories of the the good old days!! :worship:

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I was in the Coast Guard in the Saginaw Bay / Lake Huron area. Sometimes you wonder what was in those fish. I could tell stories of stupid fishermen all day long.

mikell

5. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

My favorite ice fishing story came from a friend of mine who was fishing in Nebraska with his FIL. Seems FIL is one of those guys who is always telling you how to do something and not in a shy way! "Hey dummie don't leave the door of your shack open!" stuff like that. So while my buddy loved ice fishing he didn't love it with his FIL. But he didn't see a good way out of it other than to each have a separate shack. So anyway one time they were out and FIL had come over to my buddies shack to bug him about something and as he left to walk back to his own shack the wind grabbed his shack....it started slowly sliding on the ice.....picking up steam....then it flipped....once...and again....and again....heading further and firther away toward the open water. FIL is now running after it as fast as he can and it keep going....stuff flying out the door....until SPLASH!!! and sink......

My buddy said that it was all he could do not to cry laughing.

Seems it was a long quiet ride home!! :D

I read this AM that some of the guys on that ice floe had to leave their 4 wheelers and shacks behind when they got rescued. I bet they're not too happy 'bout that!