Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put some in the freezer after hours of heating, mixing, and icing it up. I was surprised by how many ingredients I needed to buy...half and half? Heavy whipping cream? Is there a way around this? Some recipes I found didn't even call for milk!

Let's hear your best ice cream making tips and your favorite recipes!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you get a cream separator, you can probably avoid all of that.

What kind of milk? I want to make ice cream, but since I use goat milk the natural homogenization makes it seem like it would be such a chore. :(

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I make ice cream with only goats milk, no added cream. The method I use is a result of a mistake I made years ago. I made up the custard using the directions for a six quart freezer. The next day when I went to make the ice cream and fetch my maker, i discovered I only had a 4 quart maker. I made the ice cream anyway. What I had was way too much custard for the maker. I think I was supposed to add 6 cups of milk to the custard, but there was only enough room for 3 cups of milk. It turned out really rich tasting and I have been making that way ever since.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
here is the recipe I use

"Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream"

3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (makes it look like vanilla flecks)
3/4 t. salt

7 cups milk

6 beaten eggs

3 cups milk (recipe calls for 6 cups whipping cream)
3 T. pure vanilla extract

This recipe is for a 6 quart freezer but i make it in a 4 qt. freezer

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a large sauce pan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat approx. 15 minutes (mine takes longer), or until thickened, stirring constantly (get a stool and a book).

Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add back to hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook one minute, remove from heat. Refrigerate at least 2 hours ( I refrigerate overnight).

Combine milk (whipping cream) and vanilla. Add to chilled mixture and stir to combine. Freeze as directed.

I keep the bucket and paddle in the freezer until ready to use. I use crushed ice, seems to make a smoother ice cream.

I also add 1/4 t. peppermint oil and 2 cups of chocolate chips. This is a very rich tasting French vanilla type ice cream.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, Suzy...you are a confused homemaker. I wasn't trying to make custard, I was trying to make ice cream. It just turned out to be mint custard ice cream. Come to think of it, perhaps I'm confused as well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
kesoaps said:
LOL, Suzy...you are a confused homemaker. I wasn't trying to make custard, I was trying to make ice cream. It just turned out to be mint custard ice cream. Come to think of it, perhaps I'm confused as well :rolleyes:

kesoaps, we are all talking about ice cream. :) The technique just happens to include a "custard".

thanks suzyhomemaker for the link. I think my mixing technique has been my problem.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
this was sheeps milk that you used? homemade ice cream is very different than store bought, like comparing home growed chicken with the palid store bought stuff!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay...frozen custard. I get it. I just don't like my mint chocolate chip to smell like custard, I guess :p

FM, I've had a most delectable almond sheep milk ice cream...loved it! Just spoke with the woman who made it and she told me she dropped the eggs and uses only the milk, sugar and flavoring. Need to get the exact amounts, but that's what I'll be doing from here on out.

BTW...just dipped into my funky mint custard and was able to get around the smell. Tastes divine when you can do that :)

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
This is uncooked! with eggs! so some may not want to use it, but we have for years.We love it!! 4 room temperature eggs,2 cups sugar1/4 teaspoon salt,1 box instant vanilla pudding( or French vanilla pudding),4 cups milk,4 cups Half& Half,3 teapoons vanilla ( we have just used mostly our goats milk for the milk and H&H ). Beat eggs til frothy,add remaining ingredientsand beat til dissolved .Freeze in ice cream freezer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.