Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ice cream truck parked outside of the barber shop. The ice cream man was getting a haircut. I told dd we should wait until he comes out and get a ice cream bar. I used to love banana popsicles when the truck drove by every afternoon. Those were the days before daycare when kids in neighborhoods were still at home. During the school year here, the ice cream truck parks outside of the school. It's sad. Do you still have ice cream trucks in your area?

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
We have an ice cream truck that goes by several times a day and it plays the theme song from the movie "The Sting". I think its a Scott Joplin piano rag. It sounds like its a recording played from an organ or type of synthasizer. Its very loud and annoying. I wish he would just come through once and day and replace the music with bells.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We've got them, but my daughter thinks I'm the worst parent in the world, because I refuse to patronize them. Any company who employs people in a job around children without a background check will not get my $$. Most of them around here are scary looking anyway, with a cig hanging off their lips as they hawk their overpriced ice-cream from a dirty van.

I wish we had an old-time good-humour man. Now that, I would patronize!

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We have several ice cream trucks roaming the neighborhood. In fact, one of our neighbors owns a couple of the trucks.

When I was a little kid and we lived in Germany, the ice cream truck actually was more like a mini mart, selling fresh veggies and other non-sweet foods as well as ice creams and candies.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Ya know I havent seen an ice cream truck around in a couple of months and I live in a suburb. But we do have a guy on a 3 wheel motorcycle with a trailer/freezer. We have called it the sicle cycle. I think its the price of gas keeping them away.

~~~
Sumer

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Same experience as MetaGirl -- scary ice cream guys. The ice cream guy where we used to live was reallllly creepy looking. But how can you screen them when they're independent contractors? It was his own business. Anyway, it ticked me off most because the popsicles are way overpriced, which is OK for an occasional treat, but the guy drove down our street *twice a day* in the summer. I had to keep our freezer stocked with comparable popsicles just so the kids wouldn't whine or feel left out when all the other neighborhood kids bought them. They don't come 'round here where we live now, and I'm thankful!

BTW that music referred to up above is "The Entertainer." Ours also played "Turkey In The Straw." :D

·
being a Mrs. is an honor
541 Posts
our I.C.M. comes thru about 3x's a week. My DH and DD's still want to go and get a drumstick every time...

Growing up, my best friends mom told her it was a bread truck that played his music too loud. She was in her early teens before she found out the truth...LOL!!! We all still tease her about the Wonder Bread truck....

=)Bonnie

·
Registered
264 Posts
edayna said:
Same experience as MetaGirl -- scary ice cream guys. The ice cream guy where we used to live was reallllly creepy looking. But how can you screen them when they're independent contractors? It was his own business. Anyway, it ticked me off most because the popsicles are way overpriced, which is OK for an occasional treat, but the guy drove down our street *twice a day* in the summer. I had to keep our freezer stocked with comparable popsicles just so the kids wouldn't whine or feel left out when all the other neighborhood kids bought them. They don't come 'round here where we live now, and I'm thankful!

BTW that music referred to up above is "The Entertainer." Ours also played "Turkey In The Straw." :D

Do you think that's why they call it "scream for ice cream? :)

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
In the past, did your ice-cream trucks sell "soft serve" ice-cream in cones, dispensed in the truck? That's how ours are (were?) in South Africa. They had chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You could choose just one flavor or all three (dispensed them together and made stripes - kinda like toothpaste.) If you had extra money you could get a Cadbury's Flake (long flakey chocolate) that was put inside the cone and the soft serve buried the Flake. Yum!!!

Our ice-cream trucks played "It's a small world after all."

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
WildernesFamily said:
In the past, did your ice-cream trucks sell "soft serve" ice-cream in cones, dispensed in the truck? That's how ours are (were?) in South Africa. They had chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You could choose just one flavor or all three (dispensed them together and made stripes - kinda like toothpaste.) If you had extra money you could get a Cadbury's Flake (long flakey chocolate) that was put inside the cone and the soft serve buried the Flake. Yum!!!

Our ice-cream trucks played "It's a small world after all."
We had a truck like this when I was a kid - it was called "Mr. Softee." But my mom wouldn't let me get the ice cream cones, she didn't trust the guy to have clean hands. :) I only got to order wrapped stuff. It just had a tame little "ding, ding".

But we do have lots of ice cream shops in our neighborhood, including the "K" which is everybody's favorite soft-serve. I think they have over 30 flavors. My favorite is chocolate ice cream dipped in peanut-butter candy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts