Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure most of you have, or had, one of these.
Liquid Rectangle Gas Font Electric blue

Maybe some of you moved up to
Food Fluid Liquid Wood stain Ingredient

·
Registered
40,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have made two 2 quart batches of strawberry. Very good. Really good.

Reactions: doc-

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Because everyne is out there looking after us stupid people, the commerical ice cream makers have been gradually lowering the amount of dairy fat in their products and substituting vegetable oils. It's supposed to be better for us. (It also just coincidently saves them tons of money in their production costs.)...It's gotten so bad, I feel like a dish of store bought ice cream is like eating frozen Crisco.

I started making my own, using just cream and haf& half and sugar, but I don't have my own cow, so store bought ingredients cost more than the store bought ice cream. Luckily, one store here stocks real ice cream still made without veg oil. I'm happy again. (And I find a million and one uses for the one gallon plastic buckets when they become dead soldiers.)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Mom had one you put in the freezer in place of the icemaker
Kitchen Aid mixers have an attachment set available-- 3 qt metal pot you keep in the freezer & plastic mixing attachments. After cooking the mix (~ 10 minutes of work), it's stirred in the pot for 20 minutes...The result is just like soft serve, and then, it you prefer, you put it in the freezer to turn it into your ice cream....Great stuff, and like HD said, you can add your own flavorings to your taste as you mix it.

·
Premium Member
33,082 Posts
I have my grandparents first electric ice cream maker somewhere in this mess. I think I have their falling apart, hand crank one too.

Breyers natural vanilla has no oil in it but it does have some sort of gum thickener. I couldn't find the ingredients on-line so I looked at the carton in my freezer.

·
Registered
40,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to own an ice cream maker.

...I don't want to own an ice cream maker.

Have you tried yours out yet?
Oh yeah. Made two batches of strawberry. Gooder than good.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,464 Posts
Nope. A spring house isn’t COLD. It won’t keep ice cream frozen.

Spring houses are rare because they need a natural flowing spring. Give up on that idea.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You aren’t supposed to keep homemade ice cream anyway. You eat it.
I see. me and my roommates have ice cream every other night so we won't get sick and tired of our favorite dairy treat. I sent that link because of it. my group home family is 8 girls (I'm the 8th member) so I thought a spring house would help homemade ice cream stay good every other night.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts