Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have IBS, what works best to eat or drink when you have a flare? Hoping you have some secrets that I don't know about. Yesterday was awful and already starting again today.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just answered your TSH post. IBS can be a symptom of your thyroid. Mine was/is. The best thing I ever did was get rid of rains in my diet. They trigger my autoantibody response for my thyroid which throws that for a loop, which throws my bowels for a loop. Really check into a grain free diet. You could just eliminate them for 6 weeks, see how you feel and then add them back one at a time slowly. Then if you have a problem you know where that problem is. Wheat is a definite no no for me. I get immediate reaction. I can tolerate some oats (no more than once a month) and some rice. Corn is a no no for me as well. Hope that helps, Kat

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a lot of IBS type flare-ups, due to celiac and many other food intolerances.
I have found that drinking peppermint tea, or eating/drinking anything with peppermint helps calm it down. Also, fennel tea, or ground fennel seeds mixed with warm water.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have IBS and when mine gets bad I drink fennel tea or weak black tea with honey in it .Also went on a gluten free diet a few weeks ago and that has helped.But today of all things we ate at Taco Bell ,a place I can usually eat ,well not today. Ended up sick as a dog,even so I had my 7 layer burito without the tortilla ( on the side because of cross contamination)I figured since they don't change gloves after handling the tortilla to put lettuce on ,that could have done it. I do would recommend to go gluten free.It's not easy or cheap but if it helps who cares! Do you take Levsin for pain? By the way it takes me a good week to get back to normal.Hope you feel better real soon.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Are you gluten-free yet, Georgia? If not, you might want to seriously investigate doing so. Gluten has been linked, anecdotally at least, to IBS for many people.

ETA: Oma and I were posting simultaneously and have the same suggestion. :)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was gluten free for 2.5 years at one point in my life. Jan. '09 to June '11. Why did I stop? All I can figure is...... "OH," I FELT SO GOOD....A LITTLE OF THIS AND A LITTLE OF THAT.....and before I knew it, I was completely off the wagon and waaaay out in the field. STUPID to say the least!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I've been reading about probiotics in an effort to boost my mood (kind of like prepping for lack of sunshine this winter). It seems a good gut flora will cure what ails ya' in many instances. Have you tried fermented foods like kombucha or kefir? Maybe homemade yogurt or sauerkraut? I'd look for the real stuff; not the dead stuff on the shelf at the store.

This also seems like a good quality probiotic. http://www.bio-kult.com/

And I agree with skipping the refined carbs. When I skip the bread I find my meal settles a lot better in my belly than if I eat the (oh so yummy) biscuits.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Chamomile tea helps me with the inflammation. Kefir is excellent. If i drink like 1/2 cup a day I have almost no problems. I only have mild to moderate IBS, though.

Trigger foods for me include anything with small seeds, especially sesame, too much chocolate, and lettuce. Lettuce is a big one. Caffeine is a no-no too. I don't drink anything with caffeine in it, or rarely, for other reasons though. High blood pressure runs in my family big time.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I was gluten free for 2.5 years at one point in my life. Jan. '09 to June '11. Why did I stop? All I can figure is...... "OH," I FELT SO GOOD....A LITTLE OF THIS AND A LITTLE OF THAT.....and before I knew it, I was completely off the wagon and waaaay out in the field. STUPID to say the least!
Yeah, and if you can get rid of what's causing the inflammation in the first place, you probably won't have "trigger" foods. They most likely aren't triggering anything, but are just the final straw for an inflamed system.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm feeling much better today. I've been on probiotics for several years now. When I do have a flare, it only lasts for a couple of days. Not weeks. I believe I have my probiotic to thank for that.
I just need to clean up the gluten in my diet. I have actually made kefir in years past. It is very good for IBS. I need to find some more grains and start that again.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
I have actually made kefir in years past. It is very good for IBS. I need to find some more grains and start that again.
Here is where I got my kefir grains. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ Lots of info in the website, too.

I bought both kinds of grains from them: milk and water kefir. I especially love the water kefir, which is now my beverage of choice. I still drink milk kefir, but I can enjoy water kefir without consuming boatloads of calories.

Glad you're feeling better, GG!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Disclaimer- I've never been diagnosed with ibs but I do have intestinal issues. Once I started making my own yogurt, all was cleared. The only time I feel lousy is when I can't have my daily plain yogurt like when we travel. I also eat no wheat. I also eat a lot of kimchee and sauerkraut- used to make my own kombucha but got lazy and buy it instead. But I believe it all helps. :)

You got a lot of good advice and it sounds like you're on the mend.

T

·
0 Posts
I make and eat homemade yogurt... Eating almost daily, with a dollop of homemade jam and one of the old hay bale shredded wheat things makes my tummy happy. Wheat doesn't bother me, and the hay bale gives it enough body to last me several hours before I get hungry again. Mmmmmmm. Carbs. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've heard that "oatmeal broth" (recipe to follow) is a do-all end-all for all kinds of these things. Apparently, oatmeal has a natural silicone in it that comes out into the water it's cooked in and seals up everything throughout your digestive tract! I had severe bleeding ulcers several years ago and could barely even drink water and found out about oatmeal broth and once I tried that, my pain was gone inside of two days. I keep the stuff now on hand. A friend of mine also had some kind of ailment like IBS and after she tried the broth, she's now off all her meds she was taking for it.

Okay, so to make it, look on the package for the directions to make one serving, use 4 times the amount of water it calls for and let it boil on the lowest possible setting to keep it just bubbling. Let it cook for about an hour, and watch to make sure it doesn't get too thick. Then take it off the heat, let it cool and strain it through cheesecloth. Take 4-6 TBS every couple hours or so. You can store it in the fridge, covered, for about a month, just make sure to shake it well before using or all the silicone type stuff settles to the bottom.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Stacey~

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This might sound crazy but have you tried eating/drinking coconut oil?
When I put a dollop in my coffee in the morning it really helped balance my gut out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I find that homemade bone broth/stock helps me and I eat yogurt and milk kefir too. Have water kefir grains but just can't seem to keep up with them lately! I'm gluten free also and it has made the biggest difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts