Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the doctors office. I have been suffering for years with Irritable Bowel. I have been in pain for two weeks. First non stop diarhea and now constipation. Doctor is sending me to a Gastro Interologist but I can't get in until next Wednesday. I am in a great deal of pain. Doctor told me to begin taking fiber but I am afraid to colon is so irritated. Anyone have a diet that works?
Linda

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey check it out, my DH had Crohn's disease but was operated on successfully years ago. Crohn's and IBS are related. He has since been suffering off and on from IBS-type symptoms, especially as his internal scar tissue has been hardening (it causes narrowing of the intestines). We have a friend who has IBS and he got his under control by taking fiber pills, specifically psylium pills from wal-mart. He said it took about 3-4 weeks of taking 6 pills a day (that is the recommended dosage) to get it almost completely under control but he SWORE by these pills. So, my DH decided to give it a try and even though he has only been taking them for abotu 2 weeks, he has already seen a noticeable improvement. He also used to suffer from daily heartburn (that started about a year ago) and that has almost completely gone away. He is also really trying to eat more dietary fiber--we buy the Nature's Own Double Fiber, and he eats fiber-rich cereal in the a.m.
I encourage you to try it for a few weeks and see if it doesn't help. The pills are really cheap.
BTW, IBS is a stress-related disorder, so reducing stress will help a lot too. But, you proabbly already knew that.

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
I know it sounds kind of strange when you're already having problems, but the right type of fiber actually "balances/normalizes" your colon. It works the same whether you are constipated, diarrhea, or irritation. It also discourages the bad bacteria and also abdominal spasms.

The correct type of fiber is oat (oatmeal), brans, soy fiber (a supplement), soluble fiber pills (Equalactin, Citrucel, Fibercon).

Be sure and always drink a LOT of water when you increase your fiber. It aids the fiber in doing it's job. Fiber won't work if you don't drink a lot of water.

Be sure and avoid avoid both psyllium and inulin (the main ingredients in Metamucil, Konsyl, Fybogel, Fibersure, FiberChoice, and Canadian Benefiber). They cause bloating, gas, and irritaition if you have IBS. Also avoid Benefiber chewable tablets, as they contain sorbitol, an artificial sweetener that can cause cramps, bloating, diarrhea, and gas.

Another help for IBS is peppermint; especially in oil form. It relaxes the muscles in the stomach and also blocks the movement of calcium to the muscle cells and blocks excessive gas. Also teas made from Fennel, Ginger, Chamomile, or Anise help (or any combination of these herbs in a tea).

·
Registered
12 Posts
For alot of people Dairy is a huge trigger. Try not eating milk products for several days and see if that helps you. I feel for ya!

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
All good advice! GIve your body some time to adjust to the increased fiber. Don't start taking mega doses tomorrow. Slowly ramp up to the amount your dr. recommends.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about Soymilk as a substitute for cows milk? I like to put something on my oatmeal.
I took a teaspoon of Ketofiber last night but it has psillium in it. I was finally able to go this morning. What a relief. I will try equalactin today. I have been having heartburn too. Strange that they should be related.
Thanks for your help.
Linda

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
My daughter was first diagnosed with IBS, but it is celiac instead. She also cannot have any corn at all. Once she was off gluten and corn, she has had no more "IBS".

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd recommend a very bland, low low fiber diet til the gut heals. I've had IBS for years and now know what those particular type of pains/cramps feel like. Usually I can take several days of sulfasalazine, a cheap Sulfa drug, and it heals. This drug actually breaks down into asprin in the gut & has an anti-inflammatory effect on the inner lining. Then I do bland diet for a few weeks & then gradually start back on fiber. But Never and food with little seeds, like no strawberries, sesame seeds, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello momagoose 99 (Linda)
I deal with Chronic constipation. (no diarrhea) Have for a few years. It is so frustrating! But I have learned to focus on trying to keep the bowels soft so as to avoid the deep, inner pain of constipation. I drink a couple glasses of warmed prune juice per day when doing this. One, first thing in the morning. It sometimes stimulates the bowels to move. I also drink one tall glass of pure Apple juice with Aloe Vera juice mixed in.. (2 ounces) later in day. I get the Aloe Vera at Health Food store. Try to keep drinks at room temp or warmer. This helps. You are right about being careful with adding fiber, ( psylllium, or other) when constipated. It can add to the problem if you can't have BM. So it is best to get BM softened than do the Fiber. This is from my own experience. It may help you. Drink lots of water with fiber.
Of course this would be good for you only when you are experiencing the constipation.
I hope the doc can come up with a safe and working solution for you. Keep in touch. Patsy

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd recommend a very bland, low low fiber diet til the gut heals. I've had IBS for years and now know what those particular type of pains/cramps feel like. Usually I can take several days of sulfasalazine, a cheap Sulfa drug, and it heals. This drug actually breaks down into asprin in the gut & has an anti-inflammatory effect on the inner lining. Then I do bland diet for a few weeks & then gradually start back on fiber. But Never and food with little seeds, like no strawberries, sesame seeds, etc.
Hello, I am interested in the sulfasalazine drug you mentioned. Is that "over the counter or is it only by prescription?" Thanks, Patsy

·
Registered
88 Posts
What about Soymilk as a substitute for cows milk? I like to put something on my oatmeal.
Linda
Hello again. Soy milk is good if you are not allergic to Soy. I tried it and found I am allergic. So I use Rice Dream Drink. ( Original) no flavoring. ( Health Food Store) It takes getting use to but I enjoy it with cereal and anything I need milk in. So there are some alternatives out there for us. :) Patsy

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pain is getting worse. Wednesday can not come too soon. I have been taking a Keto brand fiber since last Wednesday and it did help with the constipation Friday but the pain is still there. The pain is about an inch below the navel and if pressed travels to my lower rib area. It feels like gas but I am unable to pass anything. I do not have a fever and only feel sick to my stomach when I drink the fiber . Yuck.
Linda

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here is a irritable bowel diet given to me by my gastroeneroligist.

1. Eat 3 regular meals per day. Try to eat at the same times each day.
2. Drink at least 8 to 12 glasses of fluids per day. Carbonated beverages are only allowed if the carbonation has escaped. Allow beverage to stand open for 30 minutes to release carbonation.
3. Avoid all raw fruits and vegetables (lettuce gives me SEVERE problems).
4. Eat large quantities of cooked and canned fruits and vegetables, at least three portions of each.
5. No citric fruit juices, such as orange, tomato, pineapple, grapfruit juices. Also avoid all tomato products.
6. No milk or milk products. But, you may have cultured yogurt as long as it does not include seeds.
7. No soft cheeses like American or Velveeta. You may have aged cheeses such as Colby, Swiss, or Cheddar.

I have more specifics on it if you are interested. It does say it can take awhile to notice a lot of improvement but I found relief pretty quickly. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about cranberry juice which I love. I am also a big cheese eater. Fortunately aged cheddar is the one I eat the most of. Bananas, strawberries and peaches make me very ill so I already avoid them. This is going to take some getting used to.
Linda

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
My dd has had problems with really bad constipation and diarrhea for years. She just went on the gluten-free diet( recommended by her doctor) and BINGO. No Problems - if she stays away from anything wheat... Maybe that might help you out as well. Let us know what your doc says.Good luck.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The sulfasalazine drug is by prescription only. Must be certain patient is not allergic to sulfa. Very cheap & most GI docs forget about trying it.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
While apple juice may help constipation, apples fresh may do the opposite. The Pectin in apples acts as the kaoPECTate and can keep you constipated.

Not all fruits will help--banannas can go either way depending on the person.

·
Registered
647 Posts
After suffering for years and finally being diagonsed 8 years ago, I found a few things that helped me.
Stop eating cheese, ice cream, milk or coffee.
eat small meals frequently. Helps to digest what's in there before adding more to it. I think my stomach would get "overloaded" then dump it all out (painfully).
Excerise. If I don't "go" for a few days, excerise will help greatly.
The number one thing that helped the most was going off hormonal Birth Control. Night and day difference. I'm kinda miffed that I endured YEARS of agony and testing with no doctor saying, Hey, let's try you stopping BC.

Good luck - I know how bad it can be to live with this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts