Iams Petfood Cruelty

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KindredCanuck, Apr 10, 2005.

1. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

I am not looking to get anyones back up.. but PETA.. does make sense here.. Yes I am a BIG animal lover and feel they deserve better than this..

I just posted this to bring awareness.. not controversary..

BARF ( bones and raw food ) feeder I will not feed commercial food .. I give my Percival the BARF diet ( Bones and Raw Foods ) here is a good site to check out should anyone want to know more about this diet..

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

KC~

2. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

I did BARF and the Wendy Volhard diet which is very healthy for my dogs. Only thing is though it is expensive so I have to feed kibble for now. It is well worth the effort though if I could afford it.

3. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Did not read the link you attached, I'm running out the door. But I don't think IAMS corners the market on food you don't want to feed your pets. I used to have my animals on a raw meat and steamed veggies (with other ingredients) diet when the 2 dogs got heartworms (because the vet told me I didn't have to give heartgard during the winter - wrong). Anyway, I had them on this awesome diet and it worked great. However, the work that went into it was overwhelming. Litterly 5 hours on the weekend every 2 weeks to make up freezer packs for the 2 weeks. So now I have 1 of the little ones on Bil-Jac, the other is on Canin Wholistic puppy food and the 2 big ones are on Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul. It's the best I can do. But they do get raw meat a couple times a week supplemented into their diet.

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

You might also want to check the date on that site.

Iams, when notified about that particular lab's problems, dropped them as a contractor and supposedly has improved. I can't tell you about the truth of that part- but I *can* tell you, the information is REALLY suspect.

PETA has also been known to ask people to get jobs at animal research facilities and then sabotage care in order to make pictures 'more heartwrenching'.

5. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

K, Just because some of PETA's policies are not what everyone agrees with, does not mean that the information they provide is false or that they are not doing a lot of good work. PETA is a very big organisation that has been around for a long time, and a bit like a political party they have policies - not all of which everyone will like. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because the animal rights policy goes further than you think is rational or reasonable. Go back a few steps and see what they ARE doing that you DO agree with and give them credit for that

KC~

6. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

PETA is a terrorist organization as far as I'm concerned-enough said about them.

As for food-you may want to look at the people food you're eating that's bad first-you'll be shocked if you don't already know that nearly nothing store bought is good for you.

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I admit PETA does lie, and them going on about how animals have RIGHTS is stupid. But animals do deserve proper care- that is, room to run, social interaction, food, water, and a quick death. Some things, like factory farming and puppy mills are inhumane, what the hell is their problem with rodeos? Shesh...

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=fur_farm&Player=wm&speed=_med - I'd MUCH rather be one of those dogs then the raccoon in the video.

8. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

"Go back a few steps and see what they ARE doing that you DO agree with and give them "

I have researched PETA as far back as I could stand and found absolutly nothing they are doing or have done that I agree with. They are terrorists and true kooks. I have two really small doggies and my grand dog right now and if I could feed BARF I would but they throw up alot and for now I don't have the time to wean them over or to do the prep. I love these guys but they are animals and people come first if possible around here. PAM

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Peta is a terrorist organization who's sole goal is to end the use of animals for any reason whatsover. This includes horseback riding, sheep sheering, silk farming, and beekeeping.

10. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

dont forget peta wants to end fishing too ...

"Many people have never stopped to think about it, but fish are smart, interesting animals with their own unique personalities—just like the dogs and cats we share our homes with. Did you know that fish can learn to avoid nets by watching other fish in their group and that they can recognize individual "shoal mates"? Some fish gather information by eavesdropping on others, and some-such as a type of South African fish that lays eggs on leaves so that they can be carried to a safe place—even use tools. "

http://www.fishinghurts.com/

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

PETA/ELF/ALF/HSUS and all of their offshoot organizations are one terrorist nest of vipers. Their money comes from the same sources and their directors move back and forth between orgs.

It is time we started treating them as the threat that they are.

12. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I belong to PETA. "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals"

13. bdmarti

bdmarti Active Member

I'm not going to advocate that you feed your dogs IAMS food, but since there is a thread devoted to the topic of IAM's cruelty, I thought I'd help clear things up for anyone that is interested.

You can learn about the facts behind what PETA has done and said here:
    http://www.iamstruth.com/iamstruth/...305ZZZBQFIAJ2IYCQ?li=en_US&pti=RP&articleID=6

The ASPCA (American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) has been working with IAMS to ensure humane treatment of all animals involved in IAMs studies.

I know some of the inspectors personally, and they are quite satisfied with the IAMS testing facilities. When they have cited problems, IAMS has been quick to respond. It is my understanding that in some of IAMS' new testing facilities, the dogs have large cages with ready access to a shared out door park area where they can all run and play.

I don't know much about the quality of their food, but when it comes to animal cruelty, IAMS is a good company attempting to treat their animals very well.

You can learn more about the ASPCA and the Iams International Animal Care Advisory Board here:
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iams

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Peta is a bunch of liars & terrorists. What ever _other_ issue we can talk about, there is never any _good_ coming from that group. They are oppertunistic to push their narrow minded religion upon others in any method they can, inculding force.

Do you think Peta would be happy with you using Bones???? Where do you get them - can't kill any animals you know???? And, I've heard many times that bones are not good for dogs & cats, too hard on the teeth.

Now, have you checked out Iams to see if any of that is true at all?

I've never seen anything at all true from Peta. They are the embodiment of evil intentions.

--->Paul

15. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Peta's one goal is to end animal & human interaction, raising animals on an equal, or higher, level than a human.

Any other issue they raise is a red herring to try to trick others into getting to _peta's_ single goal.

Please do some research of your own! This is an ugly group, with ugly methods.

Animal welfare is a good thing - which Peta does not support.

Peta does not do anything good at all that they can get any credit for at all.

I hope I'm not being too subtle, and you can figure out my meaning. :)

--->Paul

16. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I took a few minutes to watch a little of the PETATV from that link. What a crock! In particular, the Baltimore Police K9 training scene, in which the man repeatedly does alpha-rolls on what looks like a Malinois refusing to submit. The coach in the background is giving the man instructions on proper technique, but this is obviously an alpha roll which is THE most accepted form of heavy discipline in modern dog training. Sure looked like cruelty to me! NOT!!!

17. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

I feel like that littering indian. I have a tear in my eye.

18. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I had mixed feelings about this IAMS cruelty thing. On one hand, I don't like to see dogs neglected in cages and being the subjects of painful experiments and then killed. On the other hand, isn't that the least of the cruelty going on at IAMS? The dog food is made out of animals that have been raised and slaughtered in the most horrific and disturbing ways imaginable. These animals do not get the same care and dignity and mercifully quick deaths that homesteaders can give.

I used to use IAMS, but switched to Flint River "Fish and Chips" for all my dogs when one of them developed a wheat allergy and couldn't eat the wheat filler used in IAMS and the other so-called premium brands. Flint River uses human quality trout and sweet potato that are caught and farmed in responsible ways. It was just luck that I came across them, but now I'm glad for it, because I don't use cruel products myself, so why should I allow it for my dogs?

19. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I got an idea for a new reality TV show:

We could lock the PETA board of directors in a large cage with
    a hungry grizzly bear, and watch them try to convince it that
    eating them was wrong ! ;-)

It would be a great show, the all the slick talking and all ...
    only bad point is what would episode two be about ?

20. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I think ALL animals deserve to be treated humanely....but I don't agree with PETA's tactics....