I yam what I yam and I can't stand no more!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Jul 25, 2005.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

I give up. It seems I planted wayyy too much spinach and try as I might, can't keep up with it. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and between meal snacks.

I'm not all that big on Popeye's canned spinach, but love it frozen. Problem is, I'm not sure how to freeze it. Can anyone help me out? Do I have to blanch it or just rinse and freeze?

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

wash, blanch for 2 or 3 minutes (until it changes color), drain well, pack in freezer bags.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Thanks, you're Marvy!

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I would add to Marvella's instructions -- chill well. You can do this by dumping the hot blanched spinach into a container (clean bowl or dishpan?) of the coldest water you can get your hands on -- ice in it is even better. Then fish the cooled spinach out, drain it well and pack in plastic baggies. Personally I don't mess with "freezer bags", I just make it up in portions stuffed into a snack baggie. Then when they are frozen I either put the snack baggies all together in a gallon zip lock baggie or in a plastic shoebox type container and stash in the freezer. You can also eliminate some of the stress on your freezer by putting the chilled and bagged spinach in the refrigerator while you are working with a batch, then putting it in the freezer. Putting warm/hot stuff directly in the freezer - especially with these super hot days everyone has been having - just causes your freezer more stress and could make it quit on you.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Consider canning it. Takes a ton to make a pint. Got to use the pressure cooker but it don't take no energy once in the jar. Lasts forever and cans well.

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I love fresh spinach. I love torn spinach leaves with sliced strawberries and a big tablespoon of Poppy Seed Dressing. YUM. I use it like lettuce to make tortilla roll ups with meats. I cook it with bacon drippings and make cornbread to pig out. You are so Lucky.

7. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

That would be can't "stands" no more.

We must be sure to pass the classics on to future generations, in the purest form.

Rick

8. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Send some my way!!! Steamed with lemon and olive oil. I can make spanakopita...Yum!

9. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Canned spinach from the store is easily the nastiest thing on the face of the earth. It out to be a federal offense to do that to such a nice veggie. :eek: You might also consider using the spinach to make cream soup which you could freeze or use it to make green pasta or spinach ravioli. either one tossed with butter parmesan and a bit of chopped fresh tomato and a bit of bacon is a delicious dinner. :happy:

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

After we blanch, we pour into a colander, Throw some ice on it and rinse with water. Drain and freeze.