Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out of town visiting DH's family this weekend; the woman who is like a mother to him has cancer and isn't doing too great. She's been too tired to cook or shop, so she's been eating alot of processed ick that no one, least of all a cancer patient, should live on, so we went shopping and prepared several healthy meals and snacks for her fridge. Her son lives across the street, and we did most of the prep over there and then carried it to her place (cooking smells really bother her) with the "help" of two children, a seven and nine year old girl. As I chopped up spinach, they squealed disgust that we were putting "leaves" in the food; I figured they they just didn't realize what it was, but they'd honestly never seen spinach before. Cut up a honeydew melon and they had never seen on of those either, nor did they recognize the gala apples. I was so surprised, we had a couple dozen types of fruit and veggies out and all they recognized was the watermelon, strawberries, and cantaloupe. DH and I were a bit flabbergasted, but the kids tried everything and deemed the limes their favorites. :rolleyes:

Just wow... is it typical now for kids not to recognize such things? They're both bright, sweet little girls and it just stunned us both... not like their parents are badly off, either.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
jen74145 said:
We went out of town visiting DH's family this weekend; the woman who is like a mother to him has cancer and isn't doing too great. She's been too tired to cook or shop, so she's been eating alot of processed ick that no one, least of all a cancer patient, should live on, so we went shopping and prepared several healthy meals and snacks for her fridge. Her son lives across the street, and we did most of the prep over there and then carried it to her place (cooking smells really bother her) with the "help" of two children, a seven and nine year old girl. As I chopped up spinach, they squealed disgust that we were putting "leaves" in the food; I figured they they just didn't realize what it was, but they'd honestly never seen spinach before. Cut up a honeydew melon and they had never seen on of those either, nor did they recognize the gala apples. I was so surprised, we had a couple dozen types of fruit and veggies out and all they recognized was the watermelon, strawberries, and cantaloupe. DH and I were a bit flabbergasted, but the kids tried everything and deemed the limes their favorites. :rolleyes:

Just wow... is it typical now for kids not to recognize such things? They're both bright, sweet little girls and it just stunned us both... not like their parents are badly off, either.
I bet they can tell you what Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan wore to the latest MTV awards!

Parents don't teach kids anything any more. They don't even raise them. Probably both parents are "professionals" and are more concerned with their careers than the health and well being of their family. How else could you explain this?

Maybe you need to visit more often. (And turn off the television while you are at it.)

donsgal

G

·
You know, I tried explaining this to my oldest last night. We were having yet another go round of 'I don't like that' so I tried to explain that there are children who never see a home cooked meal but live on frozen foods, instant mixes, and restaurant foods. She was, of course, completely unfazed by this but I gave it my best shot.

Sigh...

.....Alan.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
A.T. Hagan said:
You know, I tried explaining this to my oldest last night. We were having yet another go round of 'I don't like that' so I tried to explain that there are children who never see a home cooked meal but live on frozen foods, instant mixes, and restaurant foods. She was, of course, completely unfazed by this but I gave it my best shot.
If they're like mine, they'd probably envy those kids you refer to.

OK not really...my kids do enjoy my cooking...I get a bit frustrated too sometimes though.

But I know what you mean. Recently I had a neighbor kid over and happened to be slicing up a canteloupe. I offered her a piece and she ATE THE RIND. I explained that...um...you're not supposed to eat that part and she looked at me funny, said she'd never seen it before so how would she know? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I was talking to my daughters the other day about how we eat. They all agreed that it has become uncultural to eat almost all your meals at home and to prepare your own food from scratch. We who do are abnormal. It is really sad.

One daughter and I were in the supermarket the other day. As we stood in the checkout line, she pointed to the little stack of multicoloured jello fruit salads in plastic bowls in the cooler. We both commented on how sad it was that a product like that exists, how people's taste buds have adapted to the chemical flavours and how, if you really want a jello salad it would be so easy to throw fruit in jello at home. But someone is obviously buying these things, or the stores would not keep stocking them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am actually made fun of because I grow much of our food, can it,freeze it, dry it, eat it. Some call me "Mother Earth". Whatever....I take it as a compliment. My sons know about nutrition- doesn't mean they always eat what I make but hopefully with time they will learn to appreciate it! Even they get picked on because they have never bought a cafeteria meal at school and have no "prepackaged" crap in their lunch.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
All it takes is one generation of kids who don't know what food is, and the Evil Powers can take control of our food supply. I'm only half kidding. :TFH:

DH was telling me last night that one of his coworkers told his daughters about our chickens and the eggs we get from them. They had no clue that eggs came from chickens, and asked incredulously, "Are they edible??" (I asked DH, "How old are they?" and he said he asked that too and his coworker said, "Too old for that kind of ignorance.") People often think the same thing about the fruit jam we make or the potatoes we dig up out of our garden. They really have come to think of food as a chemical substance which has no links to anything that was ever alive. That's why industry can get away with feeding them the crap they eat. Vanilla-flavored motor oil would be tasty enough to most folks.

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
I was at a seminar on post-partum depression, and the presenter mentioned that, once upon a time, when a woman had a new baby, people would bring over food for the family, or the new mom would have had meals prepared and frozen prior to the birth.

Not so any more.

Nowadays, people just go to the local carryout.

I find that so incredibly sad. What comes out of my kitchen is healthier (the health department would have no problem with my house, especially as compared to many restaurants), and as my daughter often says, "You can tell it's home-cooked! There's MOM LOVE in it!"

Pony!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The other night, for supper, we had home raised pork chops, fresh picked that day corn, and green beans I had canned earlier in the season, along with fresh tomatoes.

No seasoning other than a bit of butter for the corn, and salt.

I marveled at the richness, the satisfying flavors and textures and colors. NO ONE can eat "better" food than that.. and we produced ALL of it.

It's not just that it feels good to put food on the table that comes from your own efforts.

The food had a marvelous flavor that satisfied. Too much of what is eaten today may "taste good" but I do not think it satisfies your body's hunger.

I do think that many kids nowadays probably don't realize what a kitchen is really for. And sometimes I wonder why people bother to have one put in! All they need is a microwave and a small refrigerator, maybe a coffee maker since. :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
My daughter is taking culinary arts in school this year. She asked her instructor if they'd be making hamburgers. He told her they wouldn't make anything she ate at home. Obviously he hasn't eaten at our house! We cook not just open boxes. I guess most of his students come from box families.

Suzi

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Pony, I know exactly what you mean. My mother passed away in May and I worry about my 79 year old dad eating right. He admits that he doesn't get a lot of veggies now that he is doing all his own cooking. He eats a lot of eggs, canned soup, and frozen veggies. I live on the other side of the country, but I spent two months with him after she passed, cooking, cleaning etc. Once I left, a lot of the church ladies decided to bring him meals whenever they could. That made me feel really good until Dad started telling me the things they are bringing...almost all fast food...El Polo Loco one night, Pizza another night, and Popeyes chicken the next night. My dad could go buy that kind of stuff for himself. I appreciate their thoughtfulness, but I wish that they would just dish him a plate of whatever they are making for their family...oh wait, they probably are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Granted, we all have different tasks we enjoy or dislike. But in general cooking in this country is deemed a chore. It is to avoided AT ALL COSTS. It is a waste of time. Recently on a Sunday my SIL (who was off work the coming week w/her DH) griped to her DH "Don't expect me to be cooking all week!" Me, I'd LOVE to have a week off work to prepare every meal from scratch. I'm off work this week & have been sick as a dog, so very little cooking. :grump: I did manage to make stock with one of the ducks we butchered on Sunday.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
566 Posts
Getting There said:
But in general cooking in this country is deemed a chore. It is to avoided AT ALL COSTS. It is a waste of time.
Or if done at all at home it is to be done as quickly as possible with pre-diced peppers, pre-diced onions, pre-sliced potatoes and pre-chunked chicken, all purchased from the grocery freezer at ten times the cost of doing it the old fashioned way. Blech!!

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
My kids always dissect the meal trying to figure out exactly what came from "us" and what was store-bought.

They scored the other night when Lance's family came for dinner. Home-raised beef steaks, grilled home-grown onions and potatoes, fresh tomatoes and corn from the freezer, home-canned pickled beets and something else I can't remember. The only things they could determine were not home-grown were the mushrooms for the steak and the bacon for flavoring the potatoes.

They are actually dissappointed when at least half the meal doesn't come from the garden. The next best thing is if it came from the farmer's market. They may be very dissapointed this winter, since my garden failed!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Isn't it fun to have earned all our homegrown, healthy bragging right :))

Hopefully, you newly made young friends will be more curious about the food they eat if not now sometime in the near future.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Sigh, I think this is prevalent - not just with children but adults, as well. I work in high tech with a bunch of yuppies, yet live in the country and have our own veggies, goat milk and eggs. My wife cooks from scratch and my kids (boys included) have been taught, as well.

People I work act like they didn't know that goat cheese (yuppy food in its own rite) comes from milk that actually comes from the mammary glands of a goat. They ask things like "so, do you just start milking it when you want milk?". Also, they ask if I have to have a male duck to get eggs... etc.

Sad.

It is much harder to raise some of our own food and to cook from scratch, but we feel good about how we are raising our family, nutritionally and experientially.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
It always amazes me how hard people think it is to do simple cooking tasks such as boiling and mashing potatoes vs. pouring out a bowl of dehydrated potato flakes. More amazing yet, how similar they think the flavors are. They're NOT. My DD is a potato snob, it's her favorite food but she won't eat instant. She'll even ask when we go to restaurants if their potatoes are real or instant. So often the waitress looks at her, offended, and asks something like "why does it matter?" It matters!

This is only one small example...we eat more processed foods than I would like, but we're working on it and I'm sure we eat more "scratch" foods than most people. I am proud that my kids are learning to be such "food snobs" and tell the difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In response to Dongals post, I'd like to add that there is a song that my daughter plays sometimes and in it, one of the lyrics say "We are raising kids who are raising themselves" I find it especially sad that my childs music expresses what their our generation seems oblivious to.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Is it any wonder that children think these things? Have you noticed that at most grocery stores probably 80 percent of the products are pre-packaged or convenience products? At out "sooper Wal*Mart" the beans occupy an area that is about six feet long and three shelves tall. That's it. Out of a 15,000 square foot store you have 18 square feet of beans. Our produce department is less than a 10th of the store. The rest is KRAP (not counting the dairy).

I went to a grocery store in Canada and their produce department was a full 1/3rd of the store. It was MAGNIFICENT! I can't understand why we can't have produce departments like that in the US.

donsgal

·
Don't fool with...
67 Posts
Hmmm... MSG, High-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, processed foods, microwaves, video games...

Hmmm... consistently higher rates (and in younger ages) of cancer, alzheimer's, high blood pressure, ADD, ADHD, asthma, obesity, etc., etc., etc.

Kinda makes ya wonder, huh? Ever seen Supersize Me? Nice wake-up call.

-Jen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.