i would like to show a breeding ewe...but what do i do?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by punksheepshower, Jun 11, 2005.

1. punksheepshower

punksheepshower LiveLongLaughLotsPlayHard

ive been thinking lately that showing in more than just a market class would be fun.such as showing a breeding ewe...but what would i have to do to be able to do this. of course id have to talk to my mom and ag advisor to see if its even possible but if that all got ok'd then how would i go about getting the ewe? is it possible to just buy 1 aged breeding ewe from someone or do you have to buy a prospect as a lamb?? thanks in advance ~stephanie~

p.s.-if theres anything else to know about getting a breeding ewe please tell me! thanks ;)

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Yep, you can show a ewe in the Junior classes and not sell her at market, take her home and breed her...you have lots of choices. just open your fair book and see what is offered at your local shows. My son takes his Registered Natural Colored ewes to fair and puts them right in the same pen as his Market lambs...
    just shows them in a different ring. Now, he exhibits wool breeds so there is a good amount of fitting and grooming involved and they stay covered all year, etc. but you can show a meat breed and you would fit them just like your wether. For Registered Junior Sheep, you need to belong to the breed association of your breed ( like my son has a membership in the Natural Colored Wool Growers Association. Mine wont count, he needs his own, hes 13 so he has a Jr memebership.) They can be lambs ( Fall or Spring ) rams or ewes, no wethers... or Yearlings...then there is the Grade/Unregistered classes...the ewe does not need to be registered, BUT, you sign and certify that the SIRE of each animal shown was either registered or purebred.

the classes listed in most of the shows are: Hampshire/Shropshire
    Dorset
    All other meat breeds
    All wool breeds

I hope this helps...

3. punksheepshower

punksheepshower LiveLongLaughLotsPlayHard

thanks that helps a little bit. now i just need to talk to my mom and advisor. my mom gets home from china today!! yay!!! shes been gone since june 4th. so now i can talk to her. thanks for your help :)