I Would Be Stupid Not To Use This Wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Sep 21, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My New Wood Stove just loves small wood.The Local Sawmill has piles and piles of Slab Wood,that he is letting us have for Free.Cut it up and it is just perfect for our stove.His Brother will cut it for $10 a pickup load.

We have another place he has Tree Tops laying all over from Logging,he is giving it away too.Man I wish I was younger and in better health,I could make major $$$ this Winter.

No sence in cutting my Trees,save them for Hard Times :p

big rockpile

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I agree completely.

3. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Tell ya what, if I had a pickup truck and more muscle power (I'm a little gal - strong, but little), I could make a fortune just driving around picking up all the "free firewood" offers I see around town, splitting it, aging it a few months, and bundling it up to sell.

You want to know where to make the most money on firewood bundles? Truck it down to a spot on the main route to a state park campground on a holiday weekend. When we went camping over Labor Day weekend we brought our own wood, but we saw people selling it for outrageous amounts. And people bought it too, people who never built fires except in the campfire ring once a year, wouldn't know how to split a log, wanted to show off with a big macho campfire and maybe ran out their first night, and were in the "vacation mentality" in which people are used to paying premium prices anyhow.

Too bad we're not closer to one ourselves...seriously thinking of finding a spot to sell it next year. Our house's previous owner piled up so much firewood it'll probably rot before we burn it all.

4. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

:dance: we have a sawmill in dora called lunas its $3.00 a truckload.

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

When the firestorm hit our area, they sent in prisoners to cut the burned trees. They are still usable for firewood, and they were cut, stacked, and free for the taking to haul them out of the way. We opted for the smaller pieces, and the larger ones were left for others. We have our supply of wood for the winter. We also pick up fallen branches around our place for kindling, and I pick up all the neighbor's old pinecones for starters.

6. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Just a heads up about the campground thought - due to the emerald ash borer problem, WI no longer allows you to bring your own firewood. I suspect other midwest states might adopt the same rules so best to check before you load and haul.

7. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

A friend of mine gets free slab wood and he uses it in his Sugarhouse. Last time I looked he had over 200 cords piled up and he is still adding more each week.

I thought I was a hoarder with just having 20 cords to heat my Shop with but he puts me to shame...LOL!

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Thats how we get our wood, we go to a mill that lets us have it for $10 a truckload. We're going this weekend sometime to get a load. It burns real nice, its already split and we load it ourselves so we can pick what pieces we want. Now I just need to locate a small dutch oven so I can cook on my Fisher. I have 3 fry pans but I'd really like a big stew pot.

9. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I'm currently waiting for my firewood......a minimum of 3 1/2 cords, DELIVERED, for $50.00.

Of course, that's just one of the percs of working in a sawmill. The tops that are too small to cut for 2X4's, 2X6's, and 4X4's are loaded into a dumptruck and taken to employees who sign up for it. The $50.00 is payroll deducted and then goes into the "adopt a family" fund this company is big on. Unfortunately, I have been on the "list" for about 4 months (I've worked there for 5 months) and I still have 9 people ahead of me waiting for their deliveries! When I signed up, they were on page 17, my name is on page 21, and they are almost done with page 20.

I've been told by employees who have taken advantage of this that it is always AT LEAST 3 1/2 cords. You have to cut the logs (they probably average around 8 feet long) into your stove lengths (I bought a great chain saw at a garage sale for $15.00!). But, it will be so nice. And, once they have deducted for your load, you can sign up again. One of the millwrights has a few coworkers sign up and then have it delivered to his house and then he pays them back the $50.00 they've had deducted. I haven't worked there long enough to feel comfortable asking someone to do that yet.

10. big rockpile

Thats about a Hundred miles from me,on the other side of Springfield.

big rockpile

11. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

:) where are you/ the free wood? maybe we are close enough to bring a small trailer and fill er up!!!!
    Many Thanks, Christine and Tommy :hobbyhors

12. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Same in Indiana.

13. big rockpile

We're in Lead Mine.But I'm sure you can find a place much closer.

big rockpile

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Local furniture parts factory always has "trimmings" that fill a big dumpster outside their back door. Anyone that wants to can get as much as they want. It makes great kindling and my dh and sons got there often to fill up. I also collect all the broken boards at Tae Kwon Do class and tournaments and testings. Love it! I hated seeing people take that great kindling and just toss it in the trash going out the door.

I had to do some diving to rescue it!