I won't need a pig playmate after all.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

After bottle feeding a weak pig for 2 weeks, I'm almost ready to give up on her. She had been laid on and was having trouble walking. I brought her home when she was 7 days old because I knew her only chance was some extra care. She will be 3 weeks on Wednsday and still falls over when she gets excited and has trouble getting up. I had suspended her from a harnes to get the weight off her leg but she kept getting out after the first day. She is strong and about 10 lbs. She isn't getting much practice walking because she is in such deep straw.

Guess I'm looking for any more ideas or someone to tell me it's time to end it. I had hoped it was just muscle damage but I'm starting to think it is in the nerves. I hate to give up on an animal, but if she can't walk well at 10 pounds, I know she won't at 200 pounds. This is my last ditch effort at finding a way to fix her. :no:

Jennifer :(

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

In a sense, I made the same decision this morning. New chic, off by itself, not mobile, yet gave signs of life when picked up. I sensed it was hopeless, but for a while I tried warming it. I didn't want to put it back with it's sisteren because they would pick on it and not do anything to keep it warm...Into the nearby woodstove it went.

I'm not as cold and calous as it sounds, just realistic after a whole bunch of experience. The chic wasn't a pet, it was a production critter and for what ever reason, wasn't viable any more.

Before I got some hog crates, I lost more than a few babes to being laid on. I spent days in trying to help survivors recover, 90% of the time wasted. A crippled critter is not going to be successful amongst it's peers, it will be harried and harrassed until it is removed or killed.

I wish I had a better reply for you Jennifer but you sense the solution.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Interesting. Does she only fall over when she gets excited? or can it be at any time?

But I also wonder if you haven't answered your own question when you say that she is in such deep straw that she's not getting much pactice at walking. Consequently any damaged muscle isn't getting the chance to strengthen and when she gets excited about food etc., all her limited co-ordination goes out the window. Is it possible for you to put her on firm ground during the day? At 3 weeks of age she is still very young and sounds bright, fit and healthy in every other respect. I guess it really depends on how much of a chance you want to give her and how much time you have.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. dalilies

I am taking her out on just dirt to "practice walking" for a few days. One back leg seems stiff and she mainly walks in circles. I'm thinking about a shot of penicilin just in case it is an infection.

I hate to give up on her because she is eating so good and growing well.

Arrgghh!

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Curious about her progress so far?? How's she doing on the dirt?

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

When I raised a few piglets in the house I gace them milk,eggs, and molasses til they went onto solid feed. Is she on a hog grower feed ? Could something be lacking?

7. dalilies

:no: I had to put her down. Tried taking her out in the grass for two days. I kept standing her up but she would fall on her side after a couple steps. She would do "The Curly Shuffle" until she was all tukered out. For the non-3 Stooges fans, she spinned around on her side but couldn't get her legs under her. Even sent my terrier out to try to get her up and playing. Queenie was awful disapointed that her "playmate" couldn't stand no matter how she coaxed her.

Slinging her up in a harne did help so that she wasn't splay legged but didn't do any other good. I also started making a "mush" with some starter feed, formula and eggs. Her coordination was so bad that I had to hold her up by behind her kneck and feed her out of my cupped hand. She loved the stuff but couldn't manage it out of a shallow bowl even with me holding her up. When I brought her home at 7 days, she was standing and walking some. In the 2 weeks I had her the stronger and bigger she got the worse her coordination. She would be standing then rear up and do a back flip. Her eyes were fine and she didn't keep her head to the side. The only thing I can figure is there was some kind of nerve or spinal damage when the sow laid on her.

We are getting a 15lb piglet tomorrow. So I guess I will still half to learn a bunch about pigs quickly. Know anywhere I can get a refresher cource?

Thanks for the suggestions
    Jennifer

8. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer,
    Sorry to hear that but it was worth a try. As you say, it sounds as though there may have been some nerve damage when she got squashed.

I'm sure you will have better luck with your new piglet.

Cheers,
    Ronnie