I "witched" my well....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Jun 15, 2006.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

....and, as the driller said, "you got yourself a gusher!" :dance:

I didn't even know he was drilling it! I went out to the property to check on the garden last night, and I had a capped well and water all over the place! He did it while I was at work.

I called him to get the report. My neighbor's well (200 foot away) is 185' deep and gets 15 gpm. Mine is only 85' deep and gets 30 gpm. I'm happy with that -- I had budgeted for 185'!!!

Now.... if I can get electric in so that I can have a pump...... <grin>

Chris in Ohio

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who's well went 710 feet with very low flow (but LOTS of storage capacity! :rolleyes: ) all I can say is 'I'm jealous' AND I'm happy for you, too! :)

4. cc-rider

Gosh! I can't imagine having to PAY for 710 foot!!!!! I was sweating it worrying that they'd have to go more than 185 (which was what I budgeted).
    Did you have your site witched beforehand? They swear by that around here.

CC

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Good for you! Our well was 500' with only 3 gpm (lots of storage here too) and our neighbor 1000 feet away has a 120' well with 20gpm. Guess it's part our fault for "being on the hill"!

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Congratulations, celebrate!

Ya'll must be flatlanders. Around here it's not surprising to go 1,100 feet and your drilling and 3 hp pump cost you $10,000! :shrug:

7. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

CC-Rider, did you witch it yourself? If not, how did you find someone to do it?

8. GranmaKay

GranmaKay Active Member

Good for you :clap:

9. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Congratulations and that is a blessing. I scoffed at a "witcher" and he scolded me saying "alright smart alec, come here and you try it" I did using a new forked branch and it twisted the bark off right in my grip. Witching does work.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I witched a spot for the driller and marked it with an X. He came and said it was probably as good of a spot as any he might suggest. At 100 ft. the gusher rated at 50gpm. I'm on a hill, too.

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................This is beyond anything I've ever heard about drilled and completed water wells for private use . Can you tell us what size pump they set at 700 feet to push a column of water UP 700 feet into your pressure tank ?? And , I'd also be curious to know what the Total cost was on this well . My well here in Tx is 180 feet deep , with a 1 hp pump set at 160 feet and it cost me about 2800 total . thanks , fordy... :shrug:

12. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Fordy:

Actually in my neck of the woods there are quite of few wells in the 500-700 foot depth range. My dad's is a little over 500 feet. As you suggest, the deeper you go and it starts running into some major bucks. For talking purposes it takes a pound of pressure to push water vertically 2 feet. So to figure what discharge pressure needed for a 700 feet deep well divide 700 by 2= 350. So it takes 350 pounds of discharge pressure from the pump (assuming it's at the bottom of the well) just to get it to the surface. Say you want 40 pounds pressure in the house, you'd need 390 pounds of discharge pressure. This is getting towards the top of the scale for residential pumps and starts getting into the 2 horsepower range for the motor. Here's a chart showing various flow and pressure capacitie examples for anybody who curious.

http://www.deanbennett.com/pump-page003.pdf

13. cc-rider

Yep, did it myself, just like my Grandmother showed me nearly 40 years ago. I bent a couple old wire coathangers. I "hit" the same spot several times, even blindfolded, so figured it had to be a good one. I'm on a hill, too, by the way. Of course, in NW Ohio, my hill is probably YOUR speedbump! :)

If you can't find a water witcher, the well driller usually knows someone. I asked before I decided to just do it myself. They wanted about $150 to come out to do it. I did it for the cost of two free coathangers.

14. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

chances are the pressure the water table is under will push water a good ways up the casing. my neighbor had to drill 625 ft. and he draws water from about 150 feet.

15. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

anyone can do it- i don't think it is a special ability or anything. it does work, i've done it too, found two wells- one for an ex and another for a friend.

now i wanted to witch a new well for myself. went out and bought a length of copper wire, bent some handles... and i can't get them to do anything except wander randomly. the others i used had been fixed by others and handed to me.

i wonder if i have them too long? they are probably 3 foot long, not including the handle. anyone know the right dimensions?

congrats on the nice new well. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. the well i have now has low flow and tastes horrid. two sets of neighbors on the hill above me have nice tasting water. i am hoping if i go deeper then the one i have now i can hit better water too.

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Thanks for the interesting info . I've never really thought about the PSI required to 'push' a column of water several hundred feet up a pipe rather I just knew it took a lot work to make it happen .
    ..................The financial burden of having to drill a 700+ foot well must be really overpowering for those folks who are trying to get their life started and a home constructed and working with a limited budget . thanks , fordy... :)

17. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

fordy,
    You don't even want to know what this well cost me......... :Bawling: Let's just say I could just about have bought a brand new F150 for what it cost. If I had to do it over again, I would probably have put in a cistern and had water hauled in every couple of weeks (that's what most of our neighbors do) but they say hind sight is 20/20!!