I Wish My Neighbor Would Get Electric

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Oct 7, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My neighbor has been without Electric for 5 years.Keeps telling me that he is going to get it.

I have 1,320 feet of Road Frontage,which I have cleared.My neighbor which is two Hollers over,won't get the rest of it cleared back enough so they can get Electric in.He told the Electric Company that he would have it cleared October 1.Their Engineer was out yesterday,said they weren't close to having it cleared out :(

Whats bad is I clear my part,then he fools around and the Sprouts come back up and I have to cut them again.I would Spray them but it will cost me several hundred dollars.

If he would ever get electric,the Electric Company would take care of clearing it.

big rockpile

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

October 1st has come and gone. His free ride is over in my book. You tried.

mikell

3. big rockpile

Yes mikell but if he ever does get his back side in gear and get his part cleared off,I'll have to go back through and reclear my part :waa:

big rockpile

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have a similar problem myself. I have several hundred feet of paved road frontage. The nearest pole to the east is 2200 or so feet away. To the west it is just 185 feet. I have a building I desparately need to run power to. Even though it will only cross over a very small corner of the neighbors land (about eighty feet will be over his corner) and no pole will be set on it, the landowner will not give the power easement acros it. So they will have to back up to the previous pole and go down the other side of the road and anything over the first 100 feet is 6 bucks a foot or roughly 2700 dollars just to run power to a building that sits 17 ft off a paved road. I have never had any kind of dispute with the guy or anything. I offered him 500 dollars for easement. He wouldnt budge. Naturally the power company isnt interested in helping as it just means more money for them. The oart that really ticks me off is that the power lines come down the road from both directions and stop just short of me on both sides. Youd think they would they would come down the road with the lines so it would be continuos.

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Sounds that this would be an ideal situation for solar or other types of alternate energy....Maybe a combination of wind power and solar....

6. big rockpile

BamaSuzy Truth is he has Solar and Wind,plus he is using Small generators.But he has no idea what he is doing and don't want to listen to nobody.It will cost him $1,500 to get Electric back there.So far he has invested $6,000 on junk.

When I first moved here I just used Coleman Lanterns,kept stuff Cool in the Spring,caught Rain Water.

I like my Electric but in some ways I liked it so much more back then.No,TV,No Computers,Basicaly it got dark you went to Bed.

big rockpile

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

And you're positive that it's YOUR responsibility to clear the power line right-of-way on your land so he can bring electric in? This sounds contrary to what I've seen. Maintaining easements is usually up to the utility co. I would get some kind of written agreement from the power co. and the neighbor before I never spent another dime. Something enforceable.

8. big rockpile

Yes Steve they will maintain it once the Poles are in.Just have to get my neighbore in gear to finish clearing his.Problem is he keeps dragging his feet and it don't take that long to where the sprouts need to be cleared again.

big rockpile

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Does this line benefit you in some way? Otherwise, can't see how you are involved at all, other than allowing the easement. Neighbor or electric co can clear it all off whenever he wants to get around to it. That would be the end of the story for me.

--->Paul

10. big rockpile

rambler like I told them if they bring a Dozer like they have before,I'm cleaning up Root wads for the next 10 years.So it has to be cut.But if they bring in a Dozer I don't know where they are going with the stuff,because I have Fence all along there.

I just want it to look nice along my Property.

big rockpile

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Personally I would tell the neighbor it is now his 'opportunity'. Let the regrowth come back. If he gets off his butt, he can trim the saplings. It is HIS problem to get electric back there, not YOURS!

Ken Scharabok