Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sebastian Inlet is located about 18 miles below Melbourne, Florida. It is a place that the Atlantic Ocean enters the inland river I think is named the Indian River, there are two, I could be wrong with the name.

Back in the 1920's someone dug a channel to the ocean, so he would not have to sail his boat 20 miles parallel to the ocean before gaining access to open sailing. Long before environmental restrictions were in place. Erosion took over, the site is about 200 yards wide, the tide comes in and out at a very high speed.

Fishing persons know that the only way to enter and exit is to hit the middle under full speed with their water craft. Trying to be coy or selective will not work for this venture.

Depth for this water way is between 10 and 40 feet, about two hours of each day, twice it is necessary to do such.

There is a fishing getty, made of boulders of massive size, at least 10 foot diameter each, many larger. Upon this is a walk way, about 10 foot wide, extending somewhere between 1500 and 1800 feet. Some times there are 300 persons out there - fishing. Some times there are none, I enjoy the none periods.

The odors of the ocean are fully displayed, other times there are surf pleasure persons next to it, I enjoy dragging a shark through the surf area, it keeps them very alert. Such makes their day, they think they have conquered nature. Cheap thrills seem to benefit the young.

Soon I am going to invest in a scooter, a vehicle that displays exceptional gas mileage, can have surf fishing poles strapped to the handle bars, and for under $5.00 I can go to paradise.

The longing is there, soon the satisfaction will be achieved.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's been forever since I've been down to Sebastian. There is particular tidal area I really liked swimming at.
The Indian River is a great place to boat, swim and fish. You can make an afternoon of it out on the islands.
It is common to see dolphins and manatees.

The St John's River starts over near Malabar Rd. The river provides alot of water for Central Florida. I hear they will have a lake restored over there in a couple years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts