I wish I had ...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SkizzlePig, Jul 4, 2006.

1. SkizzlePig

SkizzlePig Well-Known Member

solar or a horse barn or a lake or ...?

If money were not a significant obstacle, what is the one (or two) things you would like to have on your homestead?

2. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'd make my house totally solar and add a working replia wood cook stove. (The electric here is not real reliable) I used to have an original wood stove with the bread warmer on top, cooked on it when the elements went out on my modern oven. Loved the taste of the food cooked on it. Second wish is a tie between the barn or the greenhouse, or maybe drilling a new well. I have a big new barn, but would put up more dividers in it for 10 or 12 more stalls. And a third wish... I want a greenhouse for my tropical plants. I'm tired of them taking over my house every winter, but they will continue wintering in here until I can get a greenhouse built... someday. It's hard to limit my wish list to just a couple, or even just a few things. My dreams expand well beyond my reality.

3. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

I would run the spring water from WAAAAAAAAY down the hill to my house and use solar power to run the pump (saving my nickles and dimes for this in the future) and have a greenhouse.

Whitewolf

4. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

Whitewolf, I would look into what is known as a "water ram". It is a nonelectric pump that is used for just what you want. I would look it up here on the net.

My dreams on my place would be to have a wind powered turbine for energy, get my barn rooves replaced, get a nice yard tractor with a mowing deck, snow blower, rototiller, clipping bagger, and a wagon to carry stuff out back. I would replace the wood on the henyard, finish the other henyard. I wouldexpand my wood shop, making it 100% wheelcahir accessable ( I am a wheechair user), and put in brick walkways to all the barns. I would get a nice driving horse and wagon, as well as restore all my stock to previous levels. I would expand my herb garden and make it a raised garden. Boy! Would I have fun if I were old money bags!

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

A homestead that is not a rental... :rolleyes:

...and I really, really, really, need a barn!

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

A 50 acre hay field and a tractor worthy of the job :)

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

A bigger homestead!

Actually, if I had a bigger homestead, and money were no obstacle, I'd build a commercial kitchen and jump through the hoops to get a licensed dairy going so I could sell goat cheese.

Kathleen

8. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

A fence around the whole farm
    A 5 acre lake stocked with fish.
    A root cellar
    A New equitment shed
    A walk in cooler to age meat in

9. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

A pond, so I could have ducks and geese again. We have 3 water source here but they are to far away from the house and barns to be of use.

A front porch and a sunroom.

10. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooh! A fence around the whole farm! I like that idea, oldmanriver! I'd go for a well insulated chicken house and rabbit barn. Could use a few more pieces of equipment, but nothing outstanding.

Jennifer

11. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

I second the motion for a larger homestead of our own! Preferably 40 acres or more.

12. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I want one thing: build a "real" barn, a big one, with electricity and water, and some rooms where I could hang out when things get rough with my two teenagers, work on photography, grow plants, whatever. I saw one up the way that someone on goatweb had built and it is great--"only" $20,000.

oops--two things, or I guess three--a big pick-up that could pull a trailer with several goats, or pigs to market. That would just about take care of me as far as what I feel we really need.

I would have wished for the money to buy the property across the creek behind us but at $219,000 for 16 acres, someone richer came along and snapped it up. They can put three houses there--so much for my tranquility. Maybe I do need something else--like several people have mentioned: MORE LAND!

Vanessa

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

how about considering a woman that is compatible and childfree by choice like me.
    who has something to offer with me and likes long winters, zen like living, but realistic and genuine. gotta love dogs.no cats or extreme about politics, religion, and has a good rototiller. (inside joke). :rolleyes:

14. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Since I live in town a short distance away from my property I'd opt for a super insulated, very air tight house. It would have to have a proper air to air heat exchanger, be well suited for solar heat gain, solar light gain, be fire resistant, wind resistant and be easy to maintain.

The other item would be a nice big machine shed in which to work on vehicles out of the weather and sight of others. I would rather have a great big old fashion styled barn to serve the same purpose but it would cost much more.

If I have one or both of those I can then work toward the solar set up, grain burning stove, etc.

Even though we have many grand dreams it is amazing what we'd actually settle for.

15. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

More land, and a lake! An underground home with greenhouse and compost toilet. OOOOOH, just thinking about it is wonderful!

16. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

First I would hire a crew to remove all the old fencing (that's left).

I would fence the entire farm (80+acres) w/ three rail fencing and on the inside I would have feild fence w/ electric on top.

I would build a big white barn with a green metal roof and have stacked stone for the foundation. One side would have garage type doors.

Buy breeding stock of : Belted Galloway, CA Red sheep, Nubian Goats and the four breeds of chickens, that I love.

Then, I would content the two small ponds to form one very large pond, build a gazbo and dock off it, stock with lots of fish and buy a paddle boat!!!

Maybe one day we will have it all finished... QB

17. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Only one or two things, Unlikely Farmer? Gee, my wish list is a long one. If money were no object, I'd like to have:

Finished perimeter fencing. Only have two sides in top shape now.

Clear, dredge, reline the pond.

Solar/wind for power.

Add a summer kitchen and a good root cellar/storm cellar.

If I never get any of that stuff accomplished, well, I'm still really happy with what I've got. It's a good life.

NeHi Mama

18. celina

celina Well-Known Member

a homestead...

19. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Enough money to completely remodel my house (which would include my appliances & modern bathroom), build a greenhouse, a woodfired hot tub, a woodshed, finish our barn and build a workshop. Also add our water system, more solar panels, a wind turbine and a better inverter. I also would like to add, if I can, new white vinyl fencing around our paddock and our whole property (since I can affford it!).

Oh, I almost forgot a woodlot and a hay field up the road that would take our 3 horses through the whole year for their hay. Then we would need the equipment for that too. (Maybe a helper or two would be nice too.)

katlupe :dance:

20. heather

heather Well-Known Member

a 4wd pickup truck of my own (not hubby's)