Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often try to use my produce during the Thanksgiving meal: it seems fitting somehow. But, this year my DH and my Daughter have been getting seriously into the Thanksgiving meal, and I have decided to step back and let them have at it. And so, instead of my own small potatos we will be eating the largest spuds the store has to offer (at $1.25 each and packaged individually). And instead of an apple pie with apples from my tree, my daughter will be baking a pumpkin pie and buying a chocolate pie.

Many years I have done the Holiday without help: I am rather enjoying watching them get seriously into preparing this meal! DD will be coming over at 2 today to help with what cooking can be done the day before, and today DH needs to go to the store to buy a seriously FRESH loaf of bread for his scratch cheese bread. He wants to re-create the cheese butter that he enjoyed at Northwoods restaurant in California while he was growing up.

The day before the holidays is always busy, but often rather fun

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I don't use up our stuff with our family mostly because they don't really understand or appreciate the work that goes into it. They'd rather buy than make. The stuff we grow and put up is generally saved for us because we savor it. Something about pearls & swine comes to mind.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually we WILL be having some of our produce, as we somehow managed to not have any canned sweet potatos!!

So, I microwaved some sweet potatos of mine, peeled and sliced them, and doused them in butter and brown sugar. They are ready to go into the oven a half hour before the Thanksgiving meal:cool:

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
Just the two of us this year, due to our host's family coming down with a virus.

I'll make a meal for the two of us: leftover turkey (grown by another neighbor), sweet potatoes (very little ones grown here), green bean casserole (NOT using canned mushroom soup - eck!)

Don't know if I will make dessert or not. We're not too big on "afters" these days.

Reactions: mzgarden and Terri
1 - 5 of 5 Posts