I watched "The Future of Food" last night...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by RedTartan, Jan 11, 2007.

1. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I can't stop thinking about it. :grump:

I feel angry and helpless about the whole thing. These weird genes have been released and there's no way to stop them now.

Anyway...

I came here to recommend that anyone who hasn't seen "The Future of Food" yet, should see it right away. Netflix has it.

RedTartan

P.S. To those who have seen it: Can you believe they were stupid enough to engineer the "Terminator" gene? Good grief!

2. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

I saw the movie at the weekend. We had gotten it from Netflix.

Just another reason I shop at Whole Foods - no GMO's.

I think as consumers we need to be more aware of what is going on.

There was also a good show on cable the other day about the history of coffee - which was really interesting and quite enlightening. Now I'm only going to buy shade grown, organic, fair trade. I already knew about organic and fair trade but didn't really know about shade grown.

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't seen it yet, but...
    I am getting more and more FREAKED OUT by what has been done to food. Last night we were at the store and hubby said "Ooh, look honey, Burpee seed! Anything you want?" Poor guy opened a big can of worms, I went off on a lecture of The Evils of Monsanto that could not be stopped, lol.

It's just not right... Roundup Ready crops, animals that never see the light of day, bovine growth hormone, persecution of small farmers... gotta wonder how people sleep at night.

4. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I am in the middle of reading a book called "Diet for a Dead Planet"

It has one page about GMO's, the rest of the book is about the food industry in general. I hate GMO's, but just looking at the food industry as a whole, aside from GMO's is just awful.

Scary stuff indeed.

My biggest issue is that I feel powerless. I already shop at some organic grocery stores, but aside from that still do eat mainstream foodstuffs as well.

Here is a review and link to it on Amazon, I've got it checked out from the libary right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Dead-Pla..._bbs_sr_1/104-9012297-3411945?ie=UTF8&s=books

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
    The "toxic cornucopia" of big agriculture is pilloried in this populist manifesto. Journalist Cook offers a nauseating recap of familiar charges: factory farming serves up pesticide-laden produce; the horrifying mills of high-density feedlots and hog and poultry sheds produce meat laced with hormones and antibiotics but still tainted with lethal bacteria; pesticide, fertilizer and manure runoff pollute air and water; immigrant meatpackers are paid paltry wages and physically ruined by inhuman line speedups. The heart of the book is an analysis of agricultural economics straight out of an 1890s Grange hall. Cook laments the destruction of family farms by a corporate "octopus" of agribusiness giants and parasitic middlemen who squeeze prices for farm products and inflate them for highly processed convenience foods on the store shelf, abetted by government farm subsidies that encourage overproduction and favor big producers. Cook's objections often seem to be to aimed at modernity itself—to the same forces of technology-driven, mechanized productivity that have industrialized the nonfarm economy. He doesn't explain how, without legions of housewives to make meals from scratch, we can do without food-processing middlemen nor why his program of returning to small family farms will curb abuses of animals, workers, consumers and the environment better than firmer government regulation of large-scale agriculture. His indictment is compelling, but his nostalgic remedy isn't fully persuasive.
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Mother Jones
    A far-reaching takedown of the American food industry ….further explores the stomach-churning realm described by Eric Schlosser.

5. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Sounds very interesting. Did any of you watch the documentary that was done a couple of years ago about the guy who only ate McDonalds food for a month? That was very eye opening!!

6. RedTartan

I was already planning on beginning to grow more of my family's food. Eventually, I hope to grow all of our food. I'm going to double my efforts because of the questionable quality of grocery store foods.

I was planning on ordering from Burpee this year. Not now. I need some recommendations from you all for heirloom seed catalogs.

RedTartan

7. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

"Supersize me" is the name of this movie

I also read "Fast Food Nation" a few years ago, since then I have eaten fast food 3 times and am more aware of reading labels at the grocery store.

8. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

For those who feel powerless, DON'T!!! There are things you can do. You can passivly join groups that inundate government officials with calls to stop GMO's. You can teach your children about it. You can buy organic food. You can grow your own organic food.

Every little bit helps and even if you only make one change a month, you are at least making that change.

It's NEVER about what little you can do, it's what that little does to help out the bigger picture.

The more organic products that are purchased, the more that companies will offer them. I see more and more each time I go to the store...heck, even Costco is on the bandwagon...I see more of a variety of organic food there than I do at some grocery stores.

Support your local farmer's markets, too...those are havens for organic growers, and it can be pricy, but there are organic co-ops that you can join that will grow the food for you and some even do door-to-door delivery.

I wish for every person that said they felt powerless that two more people would decide to change what they buy, at a small token of 1 item each time at the store. It'd be like that Halsa commercial from way back when...I told two friends and I told two friends, and so on, and so on...get the picture????

9. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

The Future of Food was one of the most informative and depressing documentaries I've ever seen. I agree with the folks who said it made them feel helpless. I just can't believe the Pandora's box that has been opened. Even if we close it now the damage has been done.

The frustrating thing is that as more people have started purchasing non-GMO and organic foods, the big corporations have taken notice and have started to plan as to how they can profit from this. They lobby to change regulations as to fit their own business model.

Most people who are committed to buying organics would be surprised to find out that many (if not most) of their favorite organic food brand are actually owned by major food companies who have no true interest in organics except as to how they can profit. I try to avoid these brands when I can.

I will post a link about the corporate ownership of the natural food industry if anyone is interested.

Red Tartan- I get most of my seeds from Bountiful Gardens and Seed Savers exchange, both excellent companies, committed to the movement of heirloom seeds.

10. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

Yep we watched that movie just a couple of weeks ago rented from Netflix. Netflix rocks! It was pretty scary and very eye opening, how those big companies try to (and do) bully the little guys.

Another thing to consider when you are buying "organic" is how watered down they have made the definition for California certified organic produce. BEWARE!! I'm sure they won't stop until "organic" means nothing.

edited to add: shop local and farmers markets

11. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

I agree. The way to go is to shop local farmers market, food coops and /or grow your own. Organic mega farms (Cascadian farms, Grateful Harvest) aren't much of an improvement over convential mega farms. And they are the wave of the future.

I will say that January in Zone 4 is rough when it comes to relying on local produce. I've been caving in lately and buying some of the California stuff.

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

That's why I research, research, research!

As much as possible, I'm careful about which brands I buy. Not easy on a tight budget, but I'm a power shopper and I manage.

13. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Can I rent it at Block Buster ?

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

They have it online.

I never rent movies, but I'm going to see if the local rental stores have:

Fast Food Nation
    Supersize Me
    The Future of Food.

And while I have them in my possession, I'm going to make the entire family watch them (my brothers, SIL, nieces and nephews).

15. RedTartan

Birdiepoo,

I will do something! Of that, you can be sure. I've already gone to the film's website (futureoffood.com) where they have various levels of activism all laid out. They have form letters and emails available for you to send to your representatives in Congress. We should all check it out.

I really think that this "food" is hurting us. Our health and our children's health are in real jeopardy.

RedTartan

16. madness

madness Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you might not be safe even there. Estimates are that 20% of the 2006 US rice crop has been contaminated with LLRICE 601, an unapproved GMO that got out of the laboratory into the fields without farmers knowing. The company, Bayer, is claiming that it was an “act of God” that allowed the strain to get to the fields.

The US exports about $1 billion in rice a year. Japan has banned all imports of US rice and the EU is testing all shipments and rejecting those that have the genetically altered stuff. Those places have it right. But here, the rice is just going to end up in your grocery store and you won’t even know it.

Haven't seen the movie, but sounds like I need to!

17. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.

18. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I second, I just finished it.

19. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I saw a good order of operations for eating sustainable and organic it goes like this:

1st-Grow everything you possibly can- Zero shipping, zero chemicals, full accountibility.
    2nd-Buy from local farmers- Little shipping, pretty good accountability for how it was grown.
    3rd-As a last resort, buy organic from the grocery store- Most likely has been shipped across the world, very little accountibility for animal conditions, and other envronmental concerns.

I really liked this because it seems that a lot of people feel they are saving the world by purchasing organic food, when in reality it is just a small step away from conventional food.

20. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

ditto dcross - and after you read it, listen to it - even more powerful