I was robbed!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mama2littleman, May 21, 2006.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I HATE birds and squirrels!!!!!!

I woke up this morning, all set to pick the baby greens and ripe cherry tomatoes and a few ripe strawberries for my lunch and they are gone!

The ripe cherry toms and strawberries completely disappeared, and the lettuce was chewed down to the roots. They didn't even leave me one stray leaf for lunch. Now, it's too late to get somemore lettuce going because the temperature here is already hitting 99 degrees during the height of the day. I'm breaking out the bird netting tonight when I get home from work, to protect the rest of my tomatoes and stawberries. It just makes me sad since I love the way that the containers look with the plants all full and wild. I went to a lot of trouble this year to make the pots look decorative as well as functional. Tomato plants with basil and marigolds in the containers. Eggplants with edible flowers added to the containers to dress them up. Pepper plants with some half- runner bean plants spilling over the sides. Now I have to put my plants in protective custody just to keep a couple of bits of produce for my table.

Another year, another garden battle.

Nikki

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sorry, Nikki, that really is lousy. :Bawling:

Darned varmints! :flame: :flame: :flame:

Pony!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

now ya know why the old timers stayed on the proch with a shotgun across their lap, lol. just trying to bring a smile. :)

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Thanks for the sympathy Pony. Only other gardeners would understand the depths of my frustration.

Meloc - The oldtimers had it right. I'd sit out there will a pellet gun myself, but those creatures are wiley and crafty. They waited until I went to work to begin their pilfering.

I caught one of the buggers this morning about 5:00 am trying to steal a half ripe strawberry with his theiving beak. I got him good with the garden hose. Maybe he will warn his little birdy friends, but I doubt it.

This is WAR! I'm breaking out the heavy artillery. Water guns, garden hoses, bird netting, fake owls and snakes. At this point, I might even give in to my son's request for a cat. Just so I can have my own personal bird stalker.

Nikki

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You don't need all that, just a loud dog on the porch with the plants. My Corgis chase everything that moves.

6. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

I got years ago, (I dont know how old she is) a female cat (they are better hunters than male) during the years she earned her keep. I dont feed her three meals like my neis. I feed her at night only. so she is " willing" to keep the garden free of all creatures, this spring she had a nasty fight with a huge rat, she didnt kill it, but I found the rat dead three days after that, now I have her daughter too, and she seems good too , she got two mice this spring already, creatures in the garden are not coming because the queen is around, and now the princess too. I loved them, even when they have a difficult personality (both of them are not sweet kitten) they do a great job for me, even in winter they keep the mice away from the barn. They are good and I dont have to worry about creatures in the garden, they are food for my "girls". And I do let them eat the creatures, the vet told me about the need of vitamines for prey animals form their catch, and I do believe they get nutrients from their kills. good luck you should look into a "cat patrol"

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pellet guns don't bother squirrels. I've been shooting them in my peach tree for years, no peaches for me. (won't get any this year either, frost, not squirrels) I don't have problems with birds (other than the rotten ducks, but those we eat so it makes us even, IMO) but the four legged critters will eat everything thy can. I've gotten pretty good with a .22. I can nail a squash-eating g-hog from 150 feet. Squirrels can be trapped. That solves the problem of shooting them out of season, it's illegal to release trapped rodents. If they're in a trap it's not hunting.