I was carded!! At Wal-Mart!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

This isn't really a question. It probably even belongs on shop talk or general chat.

My car was sputtering this morning, not wanting to stay crunked (sp?). When I got to work, I had one of the teenagers who were out of school today take the car to have the oil changed (I put 3000 miles on the car in about 5 weeks). The guy said there was probably water in the fuel lines that froze overnight. He said to buy some of the STP gas treatment from Wal-Mart to put in the gas tank.

I stopped at Wal-Mart. The cash register prompted the cashier to ask if I'm over age 18. She asked to see my driver's liscence. I've never had anyone ever check my id to see how old I am. It's been quite a while now since I've been 18.

I guess I will ask a question. What's in the gas treatment that requires an ID check that isn't in the fuel injector cleaner that I also bought and didn't require me to be carded?

2. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know but it was probably the same stuff that was in a can of spray paint that they refused to sell to my 17 yo son. So, he went across the street to an ag store and bought it with out any hassle. I had sent him to town to get it for something I was working on.
    Tana Mc

3. Montana_Joe

Montana_Joe Member

Gas Treatment (Heet, etc.) is one ingredient that can be used to make methamphetamines. Same reason you can only buy a limited amount of cold pills (one or two boxes) at some stores.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I've never bought tobacco or anything alcoholic so I've never been asked to show an id before. Well, at the airport but we expect that. Once before I saw that prompt on the screen of the cashregister at Wal-mart, but that was when we were buying a movie...A River Runs Through It I think. I guess I shouldn't have shaved this morning.

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

You can thank lawyers for this. If Walmart only asks people of a certain "look" about anything they are profiling, thus they must ask everyone the same questions.

As a formmer law person I can tell you that profiling does work, it's just not PC these days because it incarcerates a certain group more than other groups (regardless that that offending group is guilty as sin).

tsk tsk tsk: What a society we have allowed to be created.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That makes sense. At least the part about being used to make drugs. But why would they limit the age to 18 yrs and up and not the quantity like cold pills. Do only 17 year olds make methamphetamines? :confused:

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

More "Drug War" nonsense. There are whole lists of materials that you have to submit to a rectal exam to buy now. All to stop the tweakers from making meth. They have been banning meth chemicals for years now and the problem gets worse and worse. Hmmm do I see a pattern developing? Oh and if you happen to have a these naughty things in your home or vehicle, meth maker or not and intent or not, you are guilty of possesing methamphetamine precursors. Hey granny has girl parts and a need for spending money does that make her guilty of having the precursors for prostitution?

Sweet sainted mother of Alyssa Milano. I just woke up and I'm in a handbasket and I have an awful feeling I know where we're going.

8. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Spray paint and the STP product are probably both things that can be sniffed. A form of getting high used by younger folks. Theresa.

9. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

True, Spray paint could be huffed to get high. The real reason they won't sell it to young people (at least the reason here) is Graffiti. They figure if kids can't buy it, they can't tag anything.

Sylvar

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

... and what, people are rendered disabled at 18 and can't make meth anymore?

Because they can't walk into the garage and grab a can. You can't tell me between a small group of teenagers, someone doesn't have some spray paint at home.

Don't try to keep people from doing things by attempting to keep some needed items from it. That doesn't do anything possitive for the person, just makes them like a child. Kick their yea, and they'll learn to leave it alone, and become a slightly better person.

11. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Well, that's another reason for not shopping at Wal-Mart! (I haven't been in one since before Thanksgiving.)

I don't have too many problems with requesting ID for some purchases that are age restricted, but let's have some common sense. I'm 50 now and it's been at least half my life now that it would be obvious to any idiot that I'm over 21.

Just a "for instance". If I go to Wal-Mart and buy a six pack of beer, they will insist on seeing my ID. If I go to the supermarket, their P.O.S. (Point of Sale system) prompts for a birthdate, but the clerks just poke in a valid date. That seems a little more reasonable and is easier on both my blood pressure and the store clerk's.

All this effort does little to prevent underage people from purchasing alcohol, cigarettes or spray paint, but it made some legislators "feel good" knowing they were "doing something" about whatever problem.

Welcome to the 21st century!

12. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Did you pay cash? Recently I used my Sears card that I haven't used in over a year and the woman asked me for id.I think it had to do with the inactivity on the account. I challenged her and asked why, since I was giving her a valid store charge. She turned her terminal around and showed me that the screen showed that she could not proceed without it. I was only buying clothing but she still needed to see it. Luckily I had it. I do not always carry my license since DH usually drives our shared car. Sometimes I'll just give him a charge I think I'll be using that day and I get to shop pocketbook free.

I do believe that the product you purchased could be "huffed" and that could be why you where asked to see ID.

Of course this policy discriminates against people who do not have driver licenses but are of age. I wonder if there is a way for a manager to overide this prompt if he or she can determine that the person is of age?

13. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

This is just a curiousity, but why do so many people have an aversion to shwoing their ID? I always expect to be asked for my ID if I use a credit card or a check. I would much rather spend the few seconds to do that than have someone use my cards because they were not checked.

14. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Credit card companies are now telling people to not sign the back of credit cards but to write "ask to see ID" instead. It's to stop identity theft, sounds good to me and don't see a problem. It's a shame the world has come to this, but you protect yourself as well as you can.

I'd think whatever chemical that is used to burn off the water in the gas is the one that needs to be monitored (could it be ether )

15. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Having the clerk check your ID before accepting a Credit Card is really only a protection for the card companies. You are not responsible for charges made without your authorization as long as you report your lost or stolen card right away or question a strange charge on your statment in a timely manner. A debit card could be more dangerous but they do have some protections too. The siqnature is required to be checked by credit card rules although many stores don't do this. A copy of the signature is often asked for when I handle credit card disputes at work

I do not really like showing my ID when it is not really neccessary since this gives the clerk more information than I would like them to have. There are a lot of weirdos out there I don't need them knowing my full name or where I live. Plus again what about someone with good credit but no traditional ID how is that dealt with. I know many older women who have never driven or worked outside the home. The only real documents they have are Birth and Marriage Certificates, a SS card and maybe a mortgage or deed. Should they bring these items shopping with them?

At a lot of stores I deal with including our new Walmart the clerk never even touches my charge card I run it through a machine and sign a screen rather than a piece of paper. It is better that way. A lot of credit card theft was found to be coming from waiters and clerks that were running charge cards through a strip reader and then making phony cards from the information. It is important to always have your eye on your card if the clerk is handling it especially in an unfamiliar place.

16. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

My beef about Wal Mart carding...a few years ago when I had just moved to a different state but still had my old drivers license, I tried to buy beer at WM. They asked to see my ID, and I'm getting to the age where that's a compliment although I guess they card EVERYONE there... :rolleyes: Anyway, the clerk refused to sell me the beer because they would not accept a valid driver's license from another state as ID! :no:

17. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I attemped to buy 4 kinds of cold medicine last month at Walmart and they kept one. Found out I was only allowed to buy 3 at a time.
    I went to another store to get the children's tylenol.

18. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Gotta love walmart. I go there to buy 9mm ammunition and they ask me if it is for rifle or handgun. I tell them it is for shotgun....;)

19. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Teens huff. (it's a dirt-cheap drug) Paint, glue, etc. are easy enough to get out of your garage. On the other hand, kids that paint graffiti need SEVERAL cans of spraypaint, and that's most of the reason that they are carded.

20. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Here in Scumiton, there really is no other place to shop. Especially on my way home from work at 11pm. It began by me passing the Chevron that was open back in Graysville and driving on a less than full tank of gas. The Wal-Mart here has the only gas station open past 10pm. There gas was about a buck-fifty per gallon. There's a reason for that. It must be at least 20% water :) .

This is also the only Wal-Mart that I know of that requires you to show your receipt on the way out of the door, no matter what you've purchased. I only pay cash at Wal-Mart. I usually shop in Hoover or Jasper, depending on where I'm at.