I was bad - again

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pookshollow, Jan 11, 2007.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Just got home from driving three hours each way to pick up a couple of little wethers. They were at a horse rescue farm, and of course, sucker that I am, I had to email about them. :rolleyes:

I was the only person who didn't want to separate them or throw them out with the cows, so now they're mine. :)

One is an Alpine, Coco, and the other is a Toggenburg, Curly - they're supposed to be six months old, but they're about half the size of my kids born then. They look very healthy and bright though, just small. They're real pets, used to kids, dogs, horses - you name it!

I'll get some pictures of them tomorrow!

2. asher

asher Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's good to be bad! LOL

3. dap

dap lilsparrow

Sounds like something I would do! I really have to curb myself tho~hubby is not the animal lover that I am. Well, he is, but he is the practical one and points out that we need to be able to feed ourselves too! 'Cause he also knows the animals get fed first.... :p They do sound wonerful tho! Wish it were me!!!! :)

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Teach them to pack. Then you can go on day hikes, make people stare, AND they can carry lunch. :)

5. pookshollow

Oh, I was thinking maybe "unicorn" hitch with my other wether. :rolleyes: I do want to get them out to events so people can see that goats aren't nasty and smelly - there's one in June that I'll be taking goats to (by invitation!)

6. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I did the same thing this morning. I got up at 4:30 to get somewhere by 6:30 to pick up two boys (one boy-one it) One is a LaMancha (it) and the other is a horned, bearded, fluffy as all get out, TINY Pygmy cross of some sort. They also were born almost a year ago, but they are thin. So they got wormed before they even got out of the truck, and let straight to food :)

Call me crazy too. I just though it would be nice to have a companion out there for my buck since he needs to get pulled out from the does (so he gets the buck), and one companion for the doeling (she gets the it) that will be pregnant longer as I pull the first one to pop first.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Nichole, where in Colorado are you? I know you said you wre moving to Kiowa. If you went out today to get the goaats, how were the roads? here in the Springs they are like a skating rink.

8. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

I am in Elizabeth. I left the house at 5:30 a.m. and went to Falcon for them. The roads were not too bad. Not real icy at all. I am glad I left sooner than later....sounds like the roads are getting worse now though. I wanted to get them home early enough in the day to spend time spoiling them and getting them settled in. They are settled.

So off track here...but while I am here...Although they are boys, should I give them a little grain, or do you think we will be OK? They are just thin. I have them on a timothy hay, and will probably get a half alfalfa half timothy bale tomorrow. I have grain here for the girls.

9. pookshollow

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that if they're getting straight grass hay, they shouldn't have grain, but if they're getting alfalfa hay, they should have some grain, to balance the calcium in the alfalfa. If they're thin, maybe BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) might be the answer. I seem to remember someone else on here that had a thin goat and that worked for them. Also, I'm guessing you know to de-worm them, if they haven't already been done? :)

I saw some goats at the local auction a while ago that were the same width from front to back :eek: - about six inches. I didn't know goats could be that thin and still stand up. :flame:

The new boys went in with the other boys last night as they kept bouncing out of their temporary pen - and the big mare wasn't impressed by little goat faces in her grain bucket!

10. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

OH YEAH! They got wormed before they even got out of my truck. I can feel hip bones at the back, They got as much timothy as they could eat today, and they are really in great moods even considering the cold. They are bouncy, like you would expect from a goat. And it really looks like they filled out a little even over a 24 hour period.

I will look into getting sunflower seed tomorrow as well.