Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiiii
I want to lose 7-8 kgs in the coming 3 months. .. I am doing workouts, walking and exercises daily, but not getting the kind of result as I want. Can anyone please guide me?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Best thing I ever found, that worked without really trying too hard, was to cut down on portions, drink a lot of water, and exercise- instead of doing the "diet" thing- better to just cut down on the portions of the things you do eat, and try to keep starchy or sugary foods to a bare minimum.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I'm certainly no expert :) Although I've been known to drop weight well...and then gain it back again :( Best health/weight thing I ever did for myself was go vegetarian. No beef, pork, chicken. It was hard at first, but combined with LOTS of walking (I walked everywhere) I was in really good shape. Then I moved in with a carnivore! oh well.

You should check in with the weightloss forum on HT. Plenty of help there :) http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,248 Posts
Walk at least three miles per day, at least three times (four is better) per week.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You have to remember there's no getting around the physics, you have to burn more energy than you consume. So it's just finding strategies to either eat less or burn more.

Typical behaviors of successful longterm weight losers are exercise (which you are doing), adopting a low-fat diet (~25% of calories from fat), and frequent monitoring of weight.

If I'm trying to lose weight I weigh both morning and night (after dinner because it provides motivation to not eat more).

You might want to consider doing some sort of strength training. Not so much for losing weight per se but for losing body fat (which is what creates the negative health consequences) as opposed to muscle. Losing 20lbs but having a good percentage of that being muscle is probably not has healthy as losing 10lbs of fat, but keeping the muscle mass. A negative energy balance and weight loss almost always results in muscle loss along with the fat, but there is evidence that if you lift weights you attenuate the muscle loss or even gain muscle at the same time you're losing fat.

For me it always comes down to strategies to control eating. Even when I was a competitive cyclist and training many hours a week (upwards of 20) with many of them at a high intensity, I could still eat enough to maintain or even gain weight.

·
Premium Member
42,691 Posts
I lost about 100 lbs in 6 months about 8 years ago. Moderate exercise, mostly just from working around the farm, but I cut all the fat I could out of my diet and replaced it with protein. Lots of skinless chicken breast and turkey, fish, eggs and veggies. Stay away from fats and carbs (which your body turns into fat) and it will consume the excess stored in your body as needed. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Wisconsin Ann, whenever I eliminate meat from the diet, I lose weight. But you have to restrain from meat at least for a week, continiously. Maybe because of calorie density of meat per volume, or because of all that junk they feed them, hormones, antibiotics, whatever, but cutting out the meat always did the trick. Usually I would lose 3-5 lb per week of not eating meat with no other changes in excersice or portions. So, what do you eat? Any raw veggie or fruit except bananas. No bread. No rice. Home made veggie chili made from dry beans, none of the canned stuff. Sauteed or fried cabbage. Plain baked potato with a little of vegetable oil. Any veggie soup. No dairy. I agree, this is a restricted diet, but because it's temporary, I don't think it's going to hurt. Just my opinion and from my experience.

·
Gefion's Plow
325 Posts
You're doing the right things, and what everybody's said is true. Off the top of my head I don't know what 8kgs is (truthfully can't even make an estimate) but don't get disappointed. Weight lost, depending on many factors, can be a slow process. Check your calorie intake and adjust according to the average for your weight.

However, I don't think it's too easy to burn more calories than you eat, nor is that a good thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the nutri-system thing. Lost 30 pounds pretty quick. The food gets old really fast though.

I'd only recommend it as a temporary measure b/c of this.

I only have 70 more pounds to go!!! Whoooohoooo!

·
Registered
396 Posts
However, I don't think it's too easy to burn more calories than you eat, nor is that a good thing.
Not very easy at all or there wouldn't be the obesity problem we have in this country. But the only way to lose meaningful weight is to burn more than you eat (or get liposuction to surgically remove the fat).

Loss of body mass occurs thru having a net negative energy balance (i.e. burning more calories than you eat) over a given period of time, about 3500 cal in a pound of fat, 700 in muscle. So to lose a pound of tissue means running a deficit of somewhere between 700 and 3500 calories depending on what the ratio of tissues consumed.

Of course you can lose body weight by other means (e.g. dehydration) but this isn't really meaningful as it will just come back when you return to normal drinking, or you can deplete your glycogen stores by not eating carbs but they will fill back up when start eating them again.

Loss of body fat is what most people desire and what causes the negative health consequences, probably in conjunction with maintianing a positive energy balance so you're always in "storage" mode.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've lost almost forty pounds since last May on a low-carb diet. Because I have pre-diabetes, this will be a life-time diet for me. In other words, I won't be eating carbs any more. I feel a TON better -- have enough energy to actually do things again. And it doesn't have anything to do with losing the weight, but just with not eating the carbs, because the energy came back before I'd even lost any weight. I've been sick a lot less this winter, too.

I'm hoping to lose another thirty pounds or so by this coming May, and have about seventy pounds total left to go to get to where I really need to be (hopefully by the end of this year).

Kathleen

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I'd love to lose 7-8 kg, but until the United States finally decides to accept the metric system, I'm stuck with trying to lose pounds.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Paring knife, stick blender and a wet/dry shop vacuum.
Don't forget the bottle of Everclear for you and whoever does the liposuction.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm hoping to lose another thirty pounds or so by this coming May, and have about seventy pounds total left to go to get to where I really need to be (hopefully by the end of this year).

Kathleen
Congratulations, hopefully you've been informed or informed yourself about the importance of aerobic exercise in dealing with your prediabetes?

·
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
1,020 Posts
I'm certainly no expert :) Although I've been known to drop weight well...and then gain it back again :( Best health/weight thing I ever did for myself was go vegetarian. No beef, pork, chicken. It was hard at first, but combined with LOTS of walking (I walked everywhere) I was in really good shape.
Agreed.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Camilla, what kind of shape are you in right now? any mechanical problems?

To make it easy, NO hydrogenated fat, no corn syrup, no nitrates--this basically cuts out processed food. Using the basic idea that if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight, eat good ol veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, clean meat, dairy. You can stuff your face with all the fresh veggies you can.

You have to still eat enough to fuel your workouts and prevent losing muscle along with the fat. Track your progress with a measuring tape, throw away the scales. If you are doing good exercise, BOTH weight-bearing(weights) and cardio, you will be gaining muscle and denser bones--VERY GOOD THINGS, which will read as more weight on the scales and discourage you needlessly.

Lose weight to be healthy and work out to be strong--if you only lose pounds to get skinny you will most likely gain it back worse and still be unhealthy. Starving skinny people are unhealthy, and you set yourself up for a whole other set of health problems.

For me what really blasts fat is (kinda, well as heavy as I can) heavy weight lifting (NOT doing light weights with high reps), and high intensity interval cardio. You will see the fastest, biggest results with that, BUT you have to work up to it to avoid injury.

If you have a sport you enjoy it might help motivate you to work out because you can see better performance and endurance in your sport.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts