I want to grow tansy, but how?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by townmouse, May 11, 2005.

1. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

When I can't find a source for it in either seed, start, or local meadow?

Does anybody know where I can get some?

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

wow, you got me curious.....why would you want to grow tansy? Around here we are diligent about keeping tansy off our farms.

Deb

3. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm also curious, We try and get rid of it, why would I want to plant it, right up there with Scotch Broom.

Edit: I'm also from OR. Maybe its just a problem out here?

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Tansy
    Tanacetum vulgare
    Family: Asteraceae
    Herbaceous perennial. Native to temperate zones world-wide. Volunteers freely. This balsamic herb, which figures prominently in European folk medicine, is a handsome addition to any modern garden. This classic English strewing herb is sprinkled on the floors after sweeping, lending its agreeable fragrance and prohibiting flies, which detest it. Cultivation: Extra care. Sow seed in fall, midwinter or very early spring. Plant prefers regular garden soil, moderate water and full sun. Thin or transplant to 12 inches apart. Flowers yellow 2 to 3 feet.
    Not for sale to Washington state.
    Organically grown 100 seeds/pkt.
    Price: $2.85

http://www.horizonherbs.com/detail.asp?product_id=ptans

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Volunteers freely is an understatement. I'll just leave my thoughts of it at that.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

If we see tansy here, we pull it too. Is rather toxic to animals, and spreads faster than danilions at least in this area.

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I'll have to agree about tansy being invasive. I planted one plant 10+ years ago and I'm still trying to kill it. If it's the look of the flower that you like, try yarrow. It is similar and comes in other colors than yellow.

8. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

Well, I found some! Guess I was lookin' in the wrong part of town before...

The reason I want it: pest control. Somebody mentioned that flies detest it. So do ticks and alot of spiders. I've learned that you can make sachets of tansy to put in or under your bed, to keep spiders away. Which we could soooo use. Also can use it as an ingredient in a homemade bug spray/lotion. Don't want to put DEET on the kids if I don't have to.

But I don't want to grow it if its going to take over the place! I can get all I want, where I found it :)

thanks for the info!